We finished the first dye release experiment today. It lasted a little under 24 hours, and was very successful. We were able to stay with the dye despite strong currents 40 cm/s. The goal for the glider survey was to fly a coherent pattern relative to a translating drifter. While we were piloting the glider I thought we were doing horribly, but when I plotted the relative trajectory I was pleasantly surprised (see the two figures). We ran right over the drifter!
We recovered doug around 1 pm today – blazing hot sun, but nice and calm. The recovery went smoothly, and when we lifted the glider out of the water a dozen fish took off swimming every which way! They were hiding out under our glider. I’ve heard of this happening, but it was still cool to see it.
We found a new survey site and started pumping dye around 6:30, finished around 8pm and deployed the glider at 9pm. We used Chris’s quick release – not because we needed to, but because we had brought it with us, so why not use it. It worked great.