Glencora Borradaile

Associate Professor & College of Engineering Dean's Professor, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University

July 20, 2011

Getting started writing

Filed under: Silent Glen Speaks @ 2:00 pm

I just finished writing a grant proposal which, while I spent more time on it than I wanted, I had purposely left not much time for it.  I do tend to spend as much time as I give myself on things, which is why I like teaching in the morning and not preparing for lecture until the day of.

Anyhow, when I started working on this, I was having difficulty with writer’s block.  I had plenty of notes, and somewhat of an organization, but I

just

couldn’t

write

a

complete

sentence.

Frustrated, I decided to just get something down on paper.  I started writing an introduction that was entirely self-depricating, riddled with bad puns and references to “self-abuse” – generally amusing myself.  I very quickly wrote two pages and dug into the meat of the proposal, now adopting the usual (more dry, formal, self-congratulatory) tone that is more common to NSF proposals.

I have to say, though, I think being on an NSF panel could be quite a bit more fun if we actually submitted such … honesty?

1 Comment

1.   JeffE — July 20, 2011 @ 2:57 pm    

Yes! Been there, done that, ate the burger, bought the T-shirt! I laughed; I cried; it was better than “Cats”! I’m going to see it again and again!

See also: http://www.orcutt.net/othercontent/sfds.pdf

© 2018 Glencora Borradaile   Powered by WordPress MU    Hosted by blogs.oregonstate.edu