Exercise 3_ Work in Progress

• For the third exercise, I am exploring the MODIS fire data in more detail to access spatial patterns and seasonal impacts. I am still relying on mapping exercises and hotspot analysis to examine variations following the wheat harvest season in April and the rice harvest season in October. Some graphs are shown below:
The map above is intended to show wheat production (in 000 Tonnes) across districts. This serves as a useful reference for examining post wheat harvest crop burning.
Results of the Hotspot Analysis using fire radiative power (FRP) show that for the clusters of fires tend to occur in the northern part of the Punjab province. In winter month – post rice harvest, the intensity of fires is lower than in April – May 2011. There are some high intensity fires that occur in rice cultivating districts of the Sindh province.
Hotspot analysis using data for 2013 shows some high intensity fires in the winter months also. However, spatially the fires appear to be concentrated in the same region, as in 2011.
For2014 – in the post wheat harvest season, there are fires of higher intensity clustered in parts of southern Punjab – specifically Bahwalnagar district where a significant amount of wheat is cultivated. There also appear to be clusters of high intensity fires occurring in SIndh.

1 thought on “Exercise 3_ Work in Progress

1. jonesju

Zehra, These patterns of fire are very interesting. It appears (if I understand correctly) that in 2011, there was a large hotspot of fires concentrated in the N after wheat season, but after the rice season, although the overall pattern of fires is similar as after the wheat season, there was a small hotspot of fires in the SW. The hotspot analyses in 2013 shows the large hotspot in the N of the study site, during both seasons, and the hotspot analyses in 2014 show the small hotspots in the S and SW during both seasons.

These results indicate to me that the hotspot analysis may not be providing you with the information you need to analyze respiratory diseases. I suggest that you try using the kernel density function to map the contours of fire intensity in your six images. The resulting maps may be helpful as an indication of overall smoke production, for the different years and seasons, in different parts of eastern Pakistan.