May 7, 2017

Tutorial 1: Visual data analysis

Filed under: Tutorial 1 @ 11:30 pm

Reva Gillman

Geog 566

1. Research question: What is the geographic distribution of the native regions of the Japanese Tsunami Marine Debris (JTMD) species? Which regions are the most prevalent for JTMD species to be native to, and which are least prevalent?
  2. Approach that I used: visually represent native region frequency of JTMD species within 12 different coastal geographic regions of the world.
  3. I was able to get a shape file of the Marine Ecoregions of the World (MEOW), which are geographic coastal regions that match with my JTMD species data, into ArcMap, and categorize the 12 realms with different colors. After that was complete, I made an excel sheet of the species totals per region, which had a realm column of the same attribute of the shape file. I was then able to do a ‘join’ in ArcMap, to align the species data with the geographic shape file. Then I played around with data intervals for the species sum categorizations for the legend, to arrive with the following map of the JTMD native regions:

realms (1)

Marine Ecoregions of the World (MEOW)

1. Results: The most prevalent region that JTMD species are native to is the Temperate Northern Pacific. This seems obvious, as JTMD originated from Japan, so we expect most species to be native to that same region of the globe. Next most prevalent native region for JTMD species is Eastern Indo-Pacific, the region southeast of Japan. However, after that the native regions that are prevalent for JTMD species begin to span the globe: Temperate Northern Atlantic, and Tropical Eastern Pacific. At the other end is the least prevalent region: the Southern Ocean, only one JTMD species is native to this cold southern region.
  2. Critique of the method – what was useful, what was not? This is a largely visual interpretation of the data, without using statistical analyses of the data. However, it is very useful to be able to visualize the native regions spatially on a map of the geographic regions, and be able to see the different species sum categories according to the legend, to determine high and low frequencies of occurrence. It is a good start, and good beginning before I further analyze other aspects of the JTMD species spatial dimensions.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI