Rachel Graham’s London Journal Entries for Facebook

Each were posted on Facebook as as way to engage my friends and family in the experience. I’m sharing them here as well now that my trip has concluded. It was a challenged for me to be open and honest about the topics on this platform, as I generally shy away from anything controversial on […]

September 12, 2019

Each were posted on Facebook as as way to engage my friends and family in the experience. I’m sharing them here as well now that my trip has concluded. It was a challenged for me to be open and honest about the topics on this platform, as I generally shy away from anything controversial on social media. It was a liberating experience to put my thoughts and knowledge out into a medium that does not always have the best content. I am now more confident to speak up. I won’t be “picking fights” on facebook, but I will be able to approach a topic from a logical stand point, that matters to my society. Gender, Race and Class in society have an impact on everyone’s lives.

Introduction: First off, forgive me for posting a few days behind. It has taken a bit of time to adapt to the time difference and busy schedule of my trip. I will be sharing some of the insights I gain on my trip in London. I generally shy away from speaking up on social media platforms as my audience tends to be a bit polarized with very different and often strong opinions. I ask that you keep and open mind and merely ponder the thoughts I’d like to share. I am here to learn and it would be a great disservice not to share it. Thank you! Feel free to message me directly if you feel the need to expand on any of my topics. I am specifically looking for ways in which the city of London and its history present or withhold opportunities for equality. Equality I will further break down into the categories of: race, religion, and gender. These are points of diversity that can intersect and often exaggerate social issues in any society. Good day from London!

Rachel Graham

August 20 at 12:47 AM · 

Image may contain: sky, cloud, bridge and outdoor

View from the London Eye

Day 1: Tour of London by bus, river and sky

Today I rode on a marvelous red double decker bus, and I was amazed at the size and organization of London’s streets and buildings. I saw so many iconic symbols of western culture it was almost overwhelming. In one particular area I noticed several buildings from the 18th century were named after men and or men’s clubs. It was not until I reached a younger neighborhood that I saw a statue of an important woman.

During our river cruise along the Thames, our tour guide provided all sorts of insight into structures along the journey. There were many beautiful bridges, the most famous being the Tower Bridge was beautiful. However, I was intrigued by the Waterloo bridge; not because of its decoration, but its construction background. The Waterloo bridge had been built by a crew of women during the war. The guide also added that it had been completed early and under budget. What a great example of female engineering.

From the London eye, everything seems surreal. I was reminded of my experience atop the Space Needle in Seattle. The difference being the great range of age in the architecture of London. Thank you Coca Cola for bringing your business venture to London in order to provide such a spectacular view of the city. Fyi Americans, coca cola in the UK has vegetable juice in it.

Day 2: The British Museum and the film “Blinded by the Light”

I admit I had much desired to gaze upon the many artifacts, or treasures of the world’s history, that are housed in the British Museum. I could have stayed there all day moving about the over 70 exhibit halls. It was hard to follow our chosen tour without being lost in the treasures. The historical trail we followed through the sea of artifacts was called “Desire, love, Identity.” There is even a free spotify podcast to aid the exhibit’s quest to shed light on the glossed over presence of queer individuals throughout history. Their stories provide a voice of the past, which presents insights into the ways each were able to find ways to love and their identity.

Of the many pieces we observed, the one that stood out to me was a small, yet beautiful silver cup. The Warren cup is decorated with two scenes of male lovers in an embrace. This piece, though found many years ago, was not displayed in the museum until the twentieth century as Homosexuality was illegal in England and Wales until 1967. I found it strange that the museum choose to filter out Homosexuality in a Museum full of separate men and women statues in the nude. The statue of Aphrodite has always been one of my favorite works of art. She appears bold, strong, and slightly curvy. In fact to learn more about the background of her impact on women in the ancient world, I bought a book to learn about her from a Greek woman’s perspective.

Although my focus of study in this tour was in regard to gender and identity, I could not help but notice the great number of world culture that had been “collected” by the British during the colonization of the world. Their were artifacts from indigenous populations around the world, even the Pacific Northwest. I could not help but wonder, “at what cost” these treasures had been taken. I wondered how their descendants would feel if they were visiting the museum; reverence or maybe despair at the reminder of their great loss. During the few hundred years that European countries colonized the indigenous communities of the world, there was a devastating loss of life. These artifacts are important representations of culture, but also reminders of that loss.

“Blinded by the Light” was a great film that shared the story of a Pakistani British immigrant struggling with his identity as well as the barriers presented to his race and religion. He finds himself in the musical lyrics of Bruce Springsteen. What would a teenage Pakistani British immigrant boy have in common with an American songwriter? They both use words to find their identity. Their words provide a voice to their frustration with class and the obstacles it places in the way of the “American Dream” of a better life.

Image may contain: outdoor
Front of the British Museum
Image may contain: one or more people
Lobby of the British Museum

No photo description available.
Room 1 of the British Museum
Image may contain: 1 person
Aphrodite

Rachel Graham

August 22 at 2:12 PM · 

Day 3: The National Portrait Gallery and the British Library

The The National Portrait Gallery in London is full of portrait paintings, that show us not only the appearance of the sitter, but the influences and passion of the painter. Royalty are displayed in the majority of the oldest paintings as they were commissioned, but as time passed on common people were represented as well in painted portraits. Our tour guide did a great job explaining the back history of the portraits and providing insights into what both the artist and the sitter were wishing to communicate. We focussed on pieces that represented struggles with race, class and gender.

One of the paintings that spoke to me, was not on our tour; but it represents the pain of a woman revolting after a childhood plagued by divorce. After being banished from court by Henry, Mary and her mother Catherine lived out the remainder of her life at Kimbolton Castle. Her mother died there in 1536 of cancer. While she had been declared an illegitimate heir, she later seizes the crown. In her short reign she earned the reputation of “bloody Mary” as she persecuted her father’s protestant church of England that had allowed her family to be destroyed. While her efforts were gruesome, she broke traditional gender roles and was one of the first acting Queens. She set the precedence for future Queens like her half sister Elizabeth to rule as a woman with strength. However, Queen Elizabeth, whose mother Anne Boleyn was beheaded, chose not to punish her people for her father’s errors.

Another painting that spoke to me, of bravery rather than pain, was “On the Throne” which features Reginald Kenneth Dwight also known as Sir Elton Hercules John. The musician sits proudly in a white suit featuring feathered shoulders and sits in front of a wall of gold, with real gold leaf . This painting boldly presents a man who has achieved success and respect in the face of adversity. As one of the first famous gay men to openly identify himself to the public, he represents bravery in it’s truest form. You may not know this, but it was against the law to be a gay man until the twentieth century, and it was not until the twenty first century that individuals under 21 where allowed to be gay. The same King Henry the Eighth that ruined Queen Mary’s life, enacted the death punishment for gay men that was enforced until 1861. It was instead lowered to a ten year prison sentence…

The British Library presented an exhibit about the history of the written word. It showed how language had evolved from different cultures, and was used to provide social order in communities. Even though each language was diverse, they all had the same sort of necessities for language. Language was used in economics, learning and for socializing. The pieces that stood out to me in the vast display of artifacts, were the decorated manuscripts of the Bible and the Qur’an. Side by side in the exhibit, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities rather than the differences. Each were crafted by educated, dedicated, religious individuals. I was not able to take photos of them so I will show you a link: https://www.bl.uk/events/writing-making-your-mark so you can compare them as well. Thank you for reading!

Image may contain: one or more people
Queen Elizabeth I
Image may contain: text
Image may contain: 1 person
Queen Mary I aka “Bloody Mary”
Image may contain: 1 person
King Henry VIII
Image may contain: 1 person
Queen Anne Boleyn

Rachel Graham

August 24 at 1:17 AM · 

Day 4: London Rock Tour

I was very excited to go on this tour! I’m one of those “old souls” that enjoy classic rock from around the world. Several of my favorite artists are from Britain and lived and created music along the route of our tour. What does Rock and Roll have to do with gender, race and class? Everything! Rock and roll in Britain was a means to express frustrations with oppression by each of these, as well as a means to break out of a lower social class. Our tour guide Dr. Bruce Cherry gave a detailed tour of the places rock and roll was born in Britain. His stories gave so much insight into the personal struggles that the musicians suffered from. Many of those struggles were shared by the community, but expressed and seen by the world due to the medium of music and fame.

One of the most heartbreaking stories that was shared with us was about Elton John. We stopped in front of a small black door down an ordinary street. It was a place a man named Long John had once stayed. He had other musicians over from time to time, and Reginald Dwight was one of them. He had walked in on him trying to harm himself with as gas oven, due to the stress of an upcoming marriage. He hadn’t been able to pursue love with a man due to the pressures of society. This small black door is now a symbol of sadness and a turning point in a man’s life. Its possible he used John’s name as his new surname as a reminder of the man’s kindness and support.

Another interesting place on the tour was of course Abbey Road and the front of Abbey Road Studios. I was surprised at how very ordinary the street looked. Londoners all have a mutual understanding and respect for their famous country men and try to give them space. While people visit the front of homes, they do not parade after individuals out of respect. Many of the homes that were pointed out to us along the tour were unique and even beautiful, but also very much apart of the community. Some sadly, such as the home of Freddie Mercury have had to combat graffiti and raise their fences, but most live in nice but ordinary homes. Abbey Road Studios was no exception. If you didn’t know what it was you would just drive on by, as many cars did while we tried to get a photo crossing the road. It was interesting to me, that in a place with such a complex class system (7 fairly distinct classes) common people live amongst the rich. London’s housing authority has purposely designed housing in order to mix the neighborhoods. I’ll share a photo example of a street where it is quite obvious. One side has million pound homes and the other are provided by government programs. The rooms in the owned homes are larger and fancier, but nonetheless they live as neighbors. It was beautiful to see people live together even when they are so different in class, race and gender.

Another example of famous artists living and working around regular people is the Macartney Studios. A simple wood sign in front of a busy park square.

Image may contain: plant and outdoor
Ordinary Door in Camden
Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor
Abbey Road
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and outdoor
Crosswalk at Abbey Road
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor
Abbey Road Studios
Image may contain: outdoor
Troubadour Pub and Venue

I also wanted to mention the guest speaker we met at the troubadour for lunch. Keith Altham was a writer/interviewer and Public relations adviser for many famous British Musicians. He had enjoyed working with the Who, but found it frustrating to work for men like Mick Jagger, who never really gave back to his community. I did notice that Mick Jagger also had one of the largest fences. Keith was proud to say he was a big Bob Dylan fan and enjoyed his visits to America.

Rachel Graham

August 24 at 2:33 AM · 

Day 5: The Tower of London and Afternoon Tea

The Tower of London was another place I was excited to see. So much history took place there, and so much of it suffering. It’s a strange feeling to tour a prison that is now a symbol of pride, but was the last place many were seen alive.

It is a symbol of pride as it has stood for over a thousand years and houses the crown jewels. I couldn’t help but think of the price the jewels and gold had cost the people they were taken from. I felt a mixture of beauty and sadness. These symbols of power had come from the Empire that changed the lives of people around the world. They were the prize taken home after disease had been spread across places like the Americas, killing as many as 90 percent of the population in a few hundred years time. Who would have thought that the act and exposure of raising livestock would give one people so much power and strength over another.

The symbol of strength can be seen in the White Tower that housed the royal armory. The ingenuity that was exercised in order to craft magnificent suits of armor is not always something thought of in regard to the dark ages. If you’re interested in the history of the tower and the armour inside it, Netflix has two great specials you’ll want to check out. I’ll share them later.

Another interesting thing about the Tower of London is the history of animals living in it. It doesn’t strike me as a place I would want to live, let alone my pets. However, some of the treasures brought back to London were rare exotic animals. They did not survive very long in that type of uninviting captivity, but while. They were there Londoners paid to see them. Today the only royal pets left are part of a superstitious tradition. Ravens are cared for in order to “keep the tower from falling.”

Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Tower of London: Crown Jewels
Image may contain: sky, grass and outdoor
Tower of London: Animal Residents
Image may contain: one or more people, sky, cloud and outdoor
Tower of London: White Tower
Image may contain: bird, grass and outdoor
One of the cared after Ravens of the Tower

Afternoon Tea was served in a very nice Hotel called Dukes. They served 3 blends of tea. A special Dukes blend earl grey and a chamomile were very good. There was a fruity one I didn’t try. English scones are more like a puffy biscuit that you put jam, lemon curd or clotted cream on. Clotted cream is a thick and silky like butter. There were also sandwiches of Ham and Fig, Chicken Curry and Egg/ Salmon Varieties. For dessert there were dark chocolate cake, avocado mousse and a black forest mousse. It was a delightful party that it’s like to recreate at home, but scale down a bit. I did my best to fit in class wise, but I was wearing fake pearls like my grandmother would have. My grandmother pearl loved her costume jewelry as do I.

Image may contain: one or more people
Armour from White Tower at the Tower of London

Rachel Graham

August 24 at 3:17 AM · 

Day 6: Tour of Parliament

The Parliament building was not what I had expected. Most government buildings in the United States are no more than 100 years old on the west coast. This building reflected something I saw all over London, a mix of old and new. The opening hall is a sight to behold. Like one of the great halls you would expect to see in a medieval castle. Sadly I could not take any pictures inside so I’ll do my best to describe it. Great stone walls, stained glass windows, and walls adorned with paintings. The arches had been added in later in order to have angels support the roof, a sight my mother would enjoy.

The other main areas of the parliament were connected by marvelously decorated halls full of priceless royal paintings and statues. Our Guide did an amazing job describing the history and the scandals that took place during particular reigns. It was impressive to see women portrayed with such strength. As much as I disagree with the politics of Margaret Thatcher, it was inspiring to see her bronze statue next to Winston Churchill by the entrance of the house of commons.

Even more impressive than Thatcher’s bronze, was the marble statue of Queen Elizabeth I. I had asked the guide which queen he felt was the most productive from his knowledge, and he had named her. His reason for doing so was not the length of her reign, but the way she had unified the protestant and catholic churches in England and in doing so avoided a civil war. Her painting also hangs in the robe room near the current queen, Elizabeth II’s, painting. I’ll share one of her paintings from the portrait gallery as I could not share the massive one presented in the chamber.

Image may contain: one or more people
Image may contain: flower, sky, tree, plant, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

+1Rachel Graham

August 27 at 9:37 AM · 

Day 7: Royal Albert Hall and Mamma Mia at the Novello Theatre

The tour of the Royal Albert Hall was inspiring. At first I was inspired by the story behind its creation and dedication. Prince Albert was the husband of Queen Victoria I, whom she cared for dearly. Prince Albert had plans to support the people, but investing in arts, science and education. He started plans for the hall in order to make it a place where people of all classes could enjoy the arts and sciences presented there. He died unexpectedly in his forties before the hall was finished. Queen Victoria named it in his honor as part of her grieving. My husband and I are very close, and have plans and dreams together. I would likely have done the same in her place, dedicating a hall and finishing his works would be a perfect way to honor such a giving soul. I couldn’t help but see the hall as a gift to a lost love.

I was surprised to hear of the variety of shows and events that are held at the hall. Prom is a summer festival hosted by the BBC which prices floor, standing room “seats” at very affordable prices. Our tour guide was very proud to state that the hall is not owned by a private owner, the queen, a company or even the government. She insisted it was a public property managed by the people. The charter Prince Albert had requested for the hall stated it was to be a class free environment. While the queen does have her own box that was purchased by Queen Victoria, seat prices are decided upon by the sponsor and not the venue. This allows the events to reach a larger portion of the people, and keeps the hall busy all the time. Royal Albert Hall is Eric Clapton’s favorite place to play, with over 200 performances there.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor
Royal Prince Albert Hall
Image may contain: one or more people, screen and indoor
Queen Victoria I
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor
Image may contain: indoor

Mamma Mia was simply brilliant. The women in this performance were strong, vibrant and yet fragile. While they did not need men, they wanted one to love. I particularly enjoyed how they presented the complications that are presented to women who opt to break free from the stereotypical path of marriage and children. While I do think it is possible to have it all, a personal life and one with a family, I think the message to young girls is warranted; there’s no need to rush into things before you know who you are. One thing I have learned throughout my marriage is that you can be happier together, if you have a voice and passion of your own that you can then share with your loved ones. A submissive wife is no longer the only type of woman that is attractive. Women can be witty, strong and passionate without losing their way. It is much easier to love someone that knows who they are and what they want, and be able to support them in their passions. This type of love has no set race or gender. It crosses all boundaries. What an inspiring day…

7Rachel Graham

August 29 at 2:00 PM · 

Day 8: Walking tour of Soho, UK LGBTQ History Lecture and Dinner with live Jazz at the Troubadour

On our walk through Soho, our guide Dan explained that the term Soho refers to the part of London that is famous for being a melting pot for artists, musicians and immigrants; some among them LGBTQ as well. He even shared that his family had immigrated to England and lived nearby only a few generations ago. Soho was an affordable place to live and work, but it was also a place where gay men could meet in basement clubs to socialize, dance and be themselves. Prior to 1967 it was illegal to be observed as a gay man in private or in public (A Short History of LGBT Rights in the UK, 2017.) It had started out as a death sentence in the 16th century and then “improved” to a ten year prison sentence, and then later reduced to 2 year sentences in labor. It is important to note that only gay men where targeted with these laws, lesbians and transgender where of no concern to the law. “Pretty police,” or undercover attractive male officers, were used to catch gay men (Tatchell, 2017.)

The reason I went on this tour and have chosen to share it with you, is in order to point out the outward violation of civil rights that has been committed against gender queer individuals into this century. While it may be hard to fully understand someone else’s gender identity when it differs from the norm, it is not hard to relate to the need to be allowed to love without the fear of persecution. Something that resonated with me throughout the many guides that shared their knowledge of LGBTQ history, was the emotional toll that was taken by individuals different from society’s norm. Sadly, many of the stories ended in suicide. No one, no matter how different they are, should be made to feel unworthy to live in a society. These men did not rape or steal, their crime was that they loved the “wrong” person. These are just a few of the things we discussed on our tour of Soho and in 

Dr. Amanda Milburn’s lecture. I will try to share the story of a specific individual in a future post. The easiest way to empathize is to see a person and not a group of others, I challenge you to give it a try. You may have friends or family out there that need your understanding and support.

To round out a day of critical thinking, we had dinner at the Troubadour we had visited last week on our rock and roll tour. A big part of the culture in London in the past and present, has been socialization in pubs to enjoy music. The live jazz was a great way to enjoy a great meal and each other’s company. It has been really great to explore with such a diverse, intelligent and kind group of individuals. Each of us will be able to share our knowledge and experience with our friends and family. What a great way to contribute to our little corner of the world’s culture. Thank you for reading!

“A Short History of LGBT Rights in the UK.” The British Library, The British Library, 7 Nov. 2017, www.bl.uk/…/artic…/a-short-history-of-lgbt-rights-in-the-uk….

Tatchell, Peter. “You Think We’ve Had 50 Years of Gay Liberation? In the UK It’s Barely Four | Peter Tatchell.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 23 May 2017, www.theguardian.com/…/fifty-years-gay-liberation-uk-barely-….

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor
Image may contain: drink, food and indoor
Image may contain: food
Image may contain: food

Rachel Graham

August 29 at 2:38 PM · 

Day 9: Tate Modern Art Museum and Midsummer Night’s Dream at Shakespeare’s Globe

Today we visited the Tate Modern, which houses artwork that expresses cultural aspects and conflicts of the last few centuries. While there are numerous pieces of merit, even Picasso’s work, I was drawn to a less iconic work. Catherine opie created an intimate portrait of actress Elizabeth Taylor, by photographing her home and possessions after her death. While this seems strange, or even simple, I found the presentation of “things” to make a big statement about class. While the world had viewed her as an almost mythical hollywood figure, in the end she was much like most of us. She may have had more money to buy things, but those things sat in cluttered closets just like someone of the middle or lower class. The message I heard from the photos, was that while some of us may have more “stuff” we each only have this life to live.

Another striking piece of work that caught my attention were two self portraits by photographer Nan Goldin. She had taken one on the day she was traveling, she was vibrant as she looked out the window of what looks like a train. This was a day she was looking her best and she wanted to remember it. In contrast she took another photo on a “bad day,” a day she had been assaulted by a lover. She stated she wanted to remember this bad day as well, so as not to repeat it. It was brave of her to show both strengths and weaknesses. I feel she was right not to hide her “bad day.” Instead of hiding it in shame, she sought to share it so that others could empathize and possibly even learn from it.

Later in the afternoon, we attended Midsummer Night’s Dream at Shakespeare’s Globe. It honestly was nothing like I had expected. The play had used the words of Shakespeare, but used costumes and body language to help the audience relate to the story. While it was not my favorite play, I enjoy the old Elizabethian costumes as much as I enjoy roaming the British Museum’s artifacts, I did respect the way they altered the gender and race of the roles. They managed to take a classic play and add neon colors, updated cultural references and even a pinata. Classic version or not, the play reached the audience and they enjoyed it. Children and adults laughed and sat on the edge of their wooden seats. I must admit this is how I believe Shakespeare would have wanted his plays to be enjoyed, my young and old… rich and poor.

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor
No photo description available.
Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: indoor
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, indoor

Rachel Graham

23 hrs · 

Day 10: Queers & Piers Tour in Brighton

Brighton is a fun city south of London near the English Channel coastline. The city is a famous destination for holidays away from the city. Even royalty would come to Brighton to get away. One of the most unique Palaces ever built in England was placed here so that the prince could throw extravagant parties. The loose social structure of the city is perhaps one of the reasons queer couples flocked to the area over the years. Brighton is the home of one of the largest annual pride marches in the United Kingdom. On our Queers & Piers Tour in Brighton, our guide shared many stories of individuals who had lived or stayed in Brighton. He choose their stories as they struggled with adversity due to their gender identities. Whether they were gay, lesbian or transgendered; each had a story of struggle and even tragedy in some cases. I’d like to share one of the stories with you as it helped me better understand and empathize with the individuals, and maybe even see them as heroes rather than “others” from our past.

Dr. James Barry stayed in Brighton to be with his love, Lord Somerset who was not well. Dr. Barry was credited with the first successful Caesarean section in British medical history. The doctor helped many people throughout his lifetime and married his wife in Brighton. While he lived the majority of his life as a man, likely partially in order to practice medicine, Dr. Barry was actually a woman. He had requested them not to examine his body after his death as he did not want to be remembered for being different. He wanted to be remembered for who he was, a skilled Doctor and loving husband. In fact the review I read of our tour put it like this, “without Barry, we wouldn’t be where we are today and we should celebrate him” (Piers and Queers Tour of Brighton, 2014.)

Another story of an individual from Brighton, which was also mentioned on our tour of Soho in London, was the life of writer Oscar Wilde and his lover Lord Byron. Oscar Wilde was imprisoned for two years after being accused by the father of his lover. He died soon after his time in prison.

Brighton is a sunny vacation spot yes, but also the site of hardship and triumph for LGBTQ rights in the United kingdom. In the last few years, Brighton was the first to support and issue the first certification of same sex marriages. The hardship and bias placed upon those of different gender identities is far from over, but we’ve made some progress. Brighton is now home to the largest amount of same sex couples in the entire United kingdom.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor

Rachel Graham

23 hrs · 

Day 11: Kensington Palace and Gardens, Hyde Park and the Serpentine Gallery

Kensington Palace was a beautiful place to visit. With lavish rooms and a lovely managed garden, it was fit for royalty. However for a child like young princess Victoria, it seemed to lack many of the things children enjoy. This reminded me of some of the negative aspects of being born into the upper class. While you were destined to be provided for financially, you are likely to miss out on the sort of social interaction children crave, playing with other children.

This is also the message that was portrayed in the tour labeled, Queen Victoria’s childhood. There were rooms staged with children’s toys, paintings of her as a young girl, and even a journal she had written in. The line that was shared with us expressed the loneliness she had felt as a young princess. Another room listed the special rules she had to follow in the palace and in public. Something I found surprising was the lack of privacy the princess received from her mother. I had expected her to be well guarded, but to have to sleep in the same room with her mother seemed a bit much. Standing in the large room she had shared with her mother, I couldn’t help but feel a bit trapped as I’m sure she had. This was a good reminder for me of how class, money and power do not guarantee happiness. As glamorous as it would be to be a princess or a queen, I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to live with the limitations placed upon the upper class. I would have been devastated to live so near a vast beautiful garden, if I were never allowed to stroll it in peace.

On a more positive note, the grand staircase featured paintings of teenage princess Victoria and her soon to be husband Albert. It was nice to see that even though she had lived a very restrictive childhood, she fell in love with the man her uncle had arranged for her to marry. She had 17 years of happiness with him. As sad as it is that she lost him at the fairly young age of 42, the Prince Albert memorial across the Kensington gardens expressed her love. It was the most lavish statue I had seen on my trip, and right behind it another token of her love for him in the form of Prince Albert Hall.

The final place we visited was the Serpentine Gallery at the edge of the Kensington gardens. This gallery was fairly small and featured the work of one artist at a time. The work being displayed this summer belonged to the New York artist Faith Ringgold. Ringgold’s work focuses on the struggles of her ancestors, which were slaves brought to America from Africa. Her work is bold, but touches on the severity of the transgressions committed against African Americans in America’s past. She uses a mixture of mediums to make her pieces, the one that stood out to me the most was a painted quilt. She was trying to communicate the vast number of slaves that died on ships before even making it to America. A bloody sea and a burning ship make it clear that the American ideal represented by the statue of liberty, was not presented to the slaves. Ringgold’s work is blunt, but necessary communication to both Americans and the world. She seeks acknowledgement, remembrance, and respect for those who were the victims of America’s prosperity and progress.  

Image may contain: cloud, plant, sky, flower, tree and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, cloud, tree, grass, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: plant and flower
Image may contain: 1 person, standing
Image may contain: indoor

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized