header image

Introduction

Posted by: | February 25, 2015 | No Comment |

Oregon State University’s FW 350 course, Endangered Species Conservation, was onsite in Chillan, Chile, hosted at the Universidad de Concepcion (photo of University). Dan Edge and Florencia Casanova have run the course for the past few years, and I felt privileged to have the opportunity to be a part of it.

Although this course encompassed all endangered species as well as The Endangered Species Act legislation, there was an emphasis on species and policy within Chile. We were lucky enough to have a ranger from Parque Nacional Nuble come talk with us and share some specifics on endangered species in the park as well as legislation of national parks in Chile.

The course was taught in a discussion-based framework, which means class participation and enthusiasm about the content were the most important pieces. The group of students did an amazing job. They kept the topics interesting by providing through-provoking comments and questions.

We felt very fortunate to be a part of the Universidad de Concepcion

In front of the building where we had class, with Florencia.

My favorite element was the group discussion-led class sessions; I feel that this was very effective in engaging all the students and allowing us to see different perspectives on touchy and controversial subject matter.  This is often the case in fisheries and wildlife management decisions and was good exposure to the thought processes and differing views about topics that probably don’t have one right answer, if there is an answer at all.  Learning from other classmates is always a valuable experience in my opinion.  –Kate Posposil

under: Uncategorized

Leave a response

Your response: