2017-18 Leadership Team

WANT TO LEARN MORE? CHECK OUT THE FW CLUB ABOUT PAGE!

Incoming 2017-18 Leadership Team

Becky Friday: PRESIDENT

Hello everyone, my name is Becky Friday and I am a senior in the department of Fisheries and Wildlife where I am specializing in ecosystem management. I am mostly interested in the social aspect of natural resources and what influences public reactions to policy change. I have lived in the Willamette Valley my entire life and in my free time I enjoy outdoor activities like camping, fishing, and hiking with my family. During my “free time” I spend as much time as possible volunteering for outreach programs and restoration programs. I look forward to serving as your club president! fridayb@oregonstate.edu

Kevin keys: VICE-PRESIDENT

Hi all! My name is Kevin Keys and I am a post-bacc student going into my last year in the Fish and Wildlife program. My other degree is in history which I received from OSU in 2013. Before coming back to OSU I worked for a year as a farm hand in eastern Oregon and then two years as a manager of a business in New Jersey. I am a native Oregonian who has always had a passion for the outdoors and everything that goes along with it. My specialization is in conservation biology and I have a very strong passion for wolves. This has led me to be interested in not only wolf-human conflict but in predator-human conflict. I am also interested in environmental policy and planning. I hope to merge these two interests to promote the well-being of wildlife, on a political scale, worldwide. I am very excited to serve as Vice President of the Fish and WIldlife Club this year and hope to get to know more of you. Please feel free to contact me with questions about the club, my experience with the FW program, or anything else. keysk@oregonstate.edu

Hayley machado: SECRETARY

Hi there! My name is Hayley Machado and I am a Senior in the Fisheries and Wildlife department. I am originally from California, but spent the last 6 years living in Portland. I earned my Associate of Science from Portland Community College, before transferring to OSU last September. My main focus is on wildlife conservation, with an emphasis on mammals. I love to travel and explore new areas, hike, camp, and be outdoors. I have always known that I wanted to work with animals in some capacity, but it wasn’t until discovering the FW program at OSU that I was really able to figure out how I could make it a reality.

I am eager to get more involved in FW activities on campus. I am organized, have great attention to detail, and I am able to take notes quickly and efficiently. This is why I am running for Secretary of the Fisheries and Wildlife Club and think that I would make a great addition to the leadership team. I look forward to the chance to plan and organize club events such as volunteer opportunities, fundraisers, and guest speakers. I know that I have a lot I can contribute to the club and hope that you will vote for me! Thank you for your time. machadoh@oregonstate.edu

William (jay) yeo: TREASURER

I would very much like to serve as treasurer for the OSU Fisheries and Wildlife club. I am a retired US Army officer, and in my 20+ years of military service I was fortunate enough to gain extensive experience coordinating and presiding over committee meetings, as well as giving presentations to diverse audiences from senior military officers to civic leaders. I am a member of the Oregon chapter of the American Fisheries Society, and the Environmental Education Association of Oregon. I am also a lifetime member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, and an annual member of Trout Unlimited and the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. In the past, I have served as President of my homeowner’s association for two consecutive years, and the Secretary of the Alaska Joint Medical Emergency Planning Group.

At this year’s annual meeting of the Oregon chapter of the American Fisheries Society, I was super energized to get involved more in our Fisheries and Wildlife professional societies. I volunteered to revise the chapter’s brochure and to present at the 2018 annual meeting. I had intended to run for student liaison to the state chapter, but after talking to other club members interested, I feel that because 2018 will be my last year as a post-Bacc at OSU, I should cede that position to another student with more years to offer. As treasurer, I can offer a strong dedication to the Fisheries and Wildlife department, a strong work ethic, and many years of experience coordinating and leading diverse groups to succeed at common goals. I was born and raised in Pacific Northwest, and I moved to Oregon because I love the varied ecosystems and thriving fish populations this great state offers. I hope I can serve the Fisheries and Wildlife club and do great things for my fellow Fisheries and Wildlife students. Thank you! yeow@oregonstate.edu

Alvaro cortes: communication and social media chair

Hello everyone, thank you for electing me for a second year! I’m really excited to represent the Fisheries and Wildlife Club as the Communication and Social Media Chair. Here is a little bit about me and where I come from. I am currently a senior at OSU and my academic interests include fish/aquatic ecology and habitat restoration in aquatic ecosystems. I grew up in Portland, Oregon, and have many hobbies which include hiking, fishing, photography, running, and wildlife viewing. Growing up in Portland allowed me to explore and develop an appreciation for our natural resources, which is why I’m interested in this discipline.

Studying at OSU has been a real pleasure and I’m particularly excited for the 2017-18 academic year. Some of my responsibilities include maintaining the Fisheries and Wildlife Club website and social media platforms. I will use these tools to improve communication with the student body and our professional societies by assisting the leadership team throughout the year.  Additionally, I plan on expanding our participation in community outreach events, professional workshops, and educational events. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about The Fisheries and Wildlife Club, upcoming events, or with recommendations on how we can better serve you! cortesa@oregonstate.edu

brooke schlipf: AFS LIAISON

Hello everyone, my name is Brooke Schlipf and I am running for the AFS liaison position for the Fish and Wildlife Club. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest just outside of Portland, Oregon, but spent the early years of my life and many summers in Anchorage, Alaska. Because of this I grew up loving the ocean, wildlife and pretty much every living thing I could find. Now, I have a particular interest in marine fish and invertebrates, specifically their ecology and conversation. I enjoy teaching along with spreading knowledge and information to kids and adults alike. I think one of the most important parts of conservation is education.

I am running for the AFS liaison position because I want to be a leader within the club, and this particular position would allow me to do that in addition to being involved with the American Fisheries Society. This position requires someone with excellent communication skills who is a confident public speaker that likes to meet new people. I have these qualities and believe I am an effective and friendly communicator that can organize and convey information in meetings. This is important for efficiently passing information between ORAFS Executive Committee and our club during monthly conference calls and throughout the year. Other responsibilities of the liaison include recruiting volunteers to assist with the annual Oregon AFS meeting, and organizing events for the Fish and Wildlife Club. I am comfortable doing this because of my experience with recruiting volunteers and organizing events though working with student activity groups. I am confident that I could perform all the duties that would be asked of me if selected for this position, while having a great time. Being a part of the Fish and Wildlife Club over the past year has helped me gain experience, meet new people, and grow as a person. I want to be able to help make that happen for new and returning students in the club this upcoming year. schlipfb@oregonstate.edu

rachel lertora: AFS LIAISON support

Straight out of the mouth of the Columbia River, I was born and raised in Astoria, Oregon. While growing up, I was immensely involved in 4-H from local to national levels and I gained hatchery management skills at my high school’s on-campus salmon hatchery. I am now studying Fisheries and Spanish at OSU. My ultimate career goal is to develop bilingual fisheries curriculum to teach youth of all ages in outdoor settings. This fall term I will be studying abroad at James Cook University! Upon my return in 2018, I am looking forward to serving as one of your AFS Liaisons and plan to build a stronger connection between OR AFS and National AFS to help you become better connected with fisheries professionals who are eager to meet passionate students like you. lertorar@oregonstate.edu 

erik swanson: TCS LIAISON

I am running for The Coastal Society liaison position. My experience as a Coast Guard member for eight years prepared me to be a strong candidate for this position. I served six of those eight years as a public affairs officer, in which I worked closely with various stakeholders in the coastal community to promote safety at sea or to respond to a variety of crisis at sea. I have spent months at sea on Coast Guard ships deployed to the North Atlantic, Caribbean, the Bering Sea and in the Arctic. Marine and other wildlife played a significant role in many of these experiences, which ultimately inspired me to pursue a degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Science.

If I were elected as liaison, I would work to integrate the educational goals of The Coastal Society into our club by partnering with some of the many great minds on campus, Marine Hatfield Center and in the private sector. I have heard TCS has played a smaller than average role in our club, and I hope to improve this by strengthening some of our relationships in the organization. This year I attended the Pacific Fisheries Management Council meeting, and I will strive to stay relevant in marine issues that may be of interest to the club and TCS. I hope my unique background will offer valuable contribution to the club, and thank you for considering me as a candidate for this position! swansoer@oregonstate.edu

coltyn kidd: TWS LIAISON

Hello everybody, my name is Coltyn Kidd. I am a current senior in the Fisheries and Wildlife department at Oregon State University. I am from a small town called Milton-Freewater which is settled in the foothill of the Blue Mountains of Northeastern Oregon. I am a happy, jolly fellow who is good at talking and conversing with people which makes me a perfect candidate for the Fisheries and Wildlife Club Liaison.

During my sophomore year here at OSU I was the F&W Liaison communicating between The Wildlife Society of Oregon and our club. My responsibility was to be the avenue for information between both clubs to make sure that both teams could operate at maximum productivity. I would like to be the Fisheries and Wildlife Club Liaison again so that I can help all of us gain experience outside of school by having ORTWS on our side. kiddco@oregonstate.edu

trent gianella: TWS LIAISON support

Hello, my name is Trent Gianella and I am a sophomore at Oregon State. I grew up about an hour north of Corvallis in a small town called Hubbard. I have grown up loving the outdoors and spending whatever free time I had hunting and fishing. I have a broad range of experience in the field working with Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, volunteering in owl dissection and bear scat analysis labs, and am currently employed at Smith Farm Fish Hatchery. This summer I will be spending my time working as a wildland firefighter. I have a passion for both fish and wildlife but am focusing my studies on big game populations and the impact that humans and other predators have on each other. I am extremely excited to be a part of the leadership team and hope to continue improving this very successful club. gianeltr@oregonstate.edu 

SCARLETT ARBUCKLE: FACULTY ADVISOR

Instructor/Undergraduate Experiential Learning Coordinator. Scarlett supports the FW Club by facilitating the overall structure and organization of team meetings and by providing administrative support for the entire leadership team to achieve Club objectives and maintain consistency. As the FW Club advisor, Scarlett is an essential component to the clubs success throughout the year. Additionally, Scarlett supports research endeavors through the OSU Marine Team, instructs several courses and assists in departmental operations at OSU. Past Research has included work on cephalopod population dynamics, behavior and neurobiology. Check out the Marine Team website and OSU’s Department of Fish and Wildlife website to learn more!