An Alternative Spring Break

A common goal for a lot of students is to travel internationally while in college. Some students are fortunate enough to spend a summer, a term, or even a year studying abroad. However, a lot of students never get an opportunity to go abroad due to class scheduling, money, logistics, and other responsibilities. Lucky, the College of Forestry offers multiple international trips every year that are led by OSU faculty. These trips are generally only one to two weeks long and are scheduled during winter, spring, or summer break.

Spencer Dalton, a senior studying Recreation Resource Management, spent his 2019 spring break participating in a faculty-led trip to Central Chile. The students on the trip studied wildlife, forestry, land management, and Eco-tourism. Students also got the opportunity to hike around a volcano, go white water rafting, and even visit the local university’s College of Forestry.

“The faculty-led trips are definitely a great way to go abroad” says Spencer. “Not only do they fit into your schedule better, there is a lot of scholarship money available to make it more affordable. The CoF’s International Programs Office and the faculty handle most of the logistics and that makes traveling abroad for the first time super easy. The faculty-led trips also give you course credit that you can apply towards your degree.” 

“It has almost been a year since I went to Chile and I still relate a lot of my current coursework to what I learned on the trip. It’s also nice to have a little bit of an international perspective. I also have developed multiple great friendships with some of my fellow trip mates. Overall, my Chile trip was one of my favorite experience while at OSU and I would recommend a faculty-led trip to any College of Forestry student.”

If you are interested in learning more about the faculty-led international programs, or other opportunities abroad, check out https://www.forestry.oregonstate.edu/international or follow @cof.international on Instagram.

Michele Justice, Director of International Programs, Phone: (541) 737-6458

Email: michele.justice@oregonstate.edu, Office Address: 201D Richardson Hall

Kerry Menn, International Programs Coordinator, Phone: (541) 737-4601

Email: kerry.menn@oregonstate.edu, Office Address: 238 Richardson Hall