BA 466 Typical vs. Maximum Performance

As a business owner, I want someone who is performing all of the time and don’t want someone that I see always slacking until it really matters for them. On another note, for other co-workers, if they see someone who slacks on a daily basis and then performs once at a time that obviously is needed, then other workers will not be motivated to work with that person especially if they get recognition for doing a good job once. In my opinion, because they are slacking all of the time, when they do good it just seems like they are at a high performance ceiling but its just because people are surpised.

A job that Avery would be good for is a job that doesn’t require repeated steps and where there aren’t daily hard deadlines. To be honest, it shouldn’t be acceptable to be a little below average worker and then all of a sudden do good when things really matter. If we are talking about outside of work, school can be a great example where you can try very little and then when it comes to testing you can be a high performer. Maybe for police officers, they slack on giving speeding tickets, but when it comes to situations where people’s lives are in danger, they need to perform in the best way possible. Avery sounds like a person that plays office politics where they slack off and when they do good they make it known they are doing good.

For Jamie, jobs can range from a warehouse worker to salesmen. These jobs require being consistent because daily actions are very important.

4 replies on “BA 466 Typical vs. Maximum Performance”

Hi!
I agree that I would hire Jamie over Avery for the first job, i think that you can teach someone how to become a great employee if they have the work ethic, but it is harder to coach someone with a weak work ethic. I think that his performance can be greatly improved with coaching from other employees as long as he is a self driven employee. Where as Avery may bring down overall performance with her slacking habits.

Hi Faris!

I agree with you that when considering hiring my own employee I would want someone who performs consistently. I think you brought up a really good point about how other co-workers would view that type of employee as well. It could be dangerous to the culture of the company as a whole if everybody adopted that kind of attitude. Even if the person is capable of great things, others who work with them and see them slacking on a daily basis would likely either become resentful or just follow their lead. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Hello Faris,

I agree with what you said about Avery. I would find it difficult to deal with a person who lacks motivation to put out effort everyday. On the other hand, people like Avery may really excel in an academic setting. They may slack off during most of the term, but then put all of their energy into a final paper or studying for an exam. In terms of career I think she may do well as an attorney. They can slack a bit with everyday cases, but when it comes to a tough case they can do really well representing in court. It does seem, however, that Jaime has a wider range of jobs she would excel in.

Hey Faris,
I agree that Jaime would be the best choice. I think that a consistent employee is more important than a roller coaster of a performer. I am not a fan of employees that slack until they are absolutely necessary. I agree that Averey doesn’t have the best work ethic, so I also had a bit of a difficult time coming up with a position they would be good in. I agree that they should be in a place with softer deadlines in order to be successful.