In Phase 1, OSU Extension’s new web presence will launch with essential features and highest-priority content (“minimum viable product” approach). See timeline for details.
Phase 1 Essential Features/functions
Note: Many of these features can have additional functionality added after initial launch, in later phases of the project.
- Mobile friendly/responsive design
- Menu/navigation based on what our audiences want to do, learn, or search for
- User-friendly categories, labels, terms (relevant to customers–not just to us)
- Accessibility and usability needs and requirements
- Improved search functions, including showing related content
- Increased visual content (e.g., photos, videos), and improved tools for doing this
- People/locations directory: This is a centrally managed database that will be shared with or related to nearly all other content in the system. A priority is making it easier for customers to find contact info for people and locations, no matter where or how they enter our site.
- Online calendar: Support and improve (to extent possible) current features available for sharing calendars online.
- County landing pages: Dynamically include contact info, staff directory, link to relevant content
- Topic landing pages: Dynamically and/or manually curate collections of related content for topics and sub-topic categories
- Location tags: Add location information to content to extent possible (will enable future interactive map functions)
- Social media integration: Easily sharable content, and embedded/more visible social media (more than just a Facebook icon in the sidebar)
- Ask an Expert: Featured prominently and better explained (data shows AaE is helping us reach new audiences, and user feedback indicates preference for interacting with an “expert” via email–AaE does exactly this)