We are pleased to share that four Outreach and Engagement programs are being recognized by the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. Juntos, FIESTAS, Oregon Leadership Institute and Tech Wizards were nominated as Bright Spots in Hispanic Education and accepted for recognition through the Initiative’s Anniversary Year of Action. These identified Bright Spots will be publicly recognized on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 and will be included in the Initiative’s first-ever National Bright Spots in Hispanic Education online catalogue. Congratulations and thanks to the faculty, staff and volunteers who provide the programs’ guidance and direction for your leadership, dedication and steadfast commitment to the Hispanic community. We all celebrate the tremendous progress Hispanic students have made in education over the last 25 years and recognize your contribution to that success. Special thanks to Ana Lu Fonseca who took the time to submit the nominations.
Jamie will serve as the Junior Director for the West Region on the National Association of Extension Agents Board of Trustees!
Effective September 2, Troy Downing accepted county leader duties for Tillamook County. Many of you will know Troy as an Extension faculty member and professor with a statewide assignment to work with the dairy industry. Troy is no stranger to leadership as he served as a county staff chair for many years before moving to his current program assignment. Welcome, Troy!
Our sincere thanks to Emily Henry who has been in the CL role for the past two years in addition to serving as the OSU Open Campus Coordinator for Tillamook County. With the Tillamook Bay Community College now buying .50 FTE of her time to teach natural resource classes, Emily discovered that she needs to refocus her energies to meet the demands of a growing Open Campus program while completing her classroom duties with TBCC. It’s been a delight working with Emily and we wish her all the best in her continued work as an OSU faculty member within the Division of Outreach and Engagement.
Max Bennett has agreed to continue in his interim role as county leader while the search for the SOREC Director and Jackson County Leader continues. Max has done a terrific job as the Interim County Leader over the last eight months. We are delighted that he is willing to remain in this interim role through the appointment of a director and county leader.
Mike Bondi, chair of the search committee for the SOREC Director and Jackson County Leader, reports that there is a strong pool of applicants for the position. The committee met this week to select candidates for phone/Skype screening interviews. Stay tuned!
Both awards, OSU Extension Association (OSUEA) Search for Excellence and the Western Extension Directors Award (WEDA) for Excellence, recognize outstanding accomplishments in Extension Education. Two awards with one application process; your time has arrived. Don’t be bashful! The deadline OSUEA and WEDA Search for Excellence is October 15, 2015. For more details, see: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/osuea/osuea-search-excellence
December 7th-10th, 2015, CH2M Hill Alumni Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Make plans to come together with your Extension colleagues from across Oregon for four days dedicated to celebrating successes, updating your skills, networking, brainstorming and inspiration.
- Attend the OSUEA Meeting and elections, and attend an affiliate meeting (draft schedule includes: 4-H, Family and Consumer Sciences, Oregon Agricultural Extension Association or Epsilon Sigma Phi) to learn more about local and national events and news in your discipline.
- Take advantage of program planning time and trainings (draft schedule includes program planning time for: 4-H, Forestry, Agriculture, Family and Consumer Sciences, Home Horticulture, Diversity Catalyst Team, OSU Open Campus / Juntos).
- Celebrate the successes of our colleagues and our cooperators! All are invited and encouraged to attend! Let’s have a good showing at the Cooperator’s Banquet, to say ‘thank you’ to those who support Extension across the state. (Faculty and Staff Awards Program Wednesday morning; Cooperator, 4-H Hall of Fame and Friends of Extension awards Wednesday morning).
- Socialize and have fun! (Director’s Appreciation Lunch for Support Staff Monday morning; All Extension BBQ Monday evening; Coffee Social Tuesday morning; Bowling Tuesday evening).
- On Tuesday, afternoon, be inspired by our Keynote Speaker (Mark Platten from Colorado State University will speak on Extension and the Intergenerational Workplace, including how to attract and retain millennials as Extension employees and volunteers).
- Update your knowledge and skill set, with classes as diverse as ‘How to Take Effective Event and Onsite Photos’ to ‘Extension in an Era of Legal Marijuana in Oregon’.
- Hear the latest OSU Extension Administrative Update (Tuesday morning). Should they be on board by this time, we have also included time to meet with our new Associate Provost / Associate Director.
- Present your work, and learn about the work of your colleagues, at the Extension Conference Poster Session.
And there is much more to come! The new CEO of eXtension is likely to join us for a keynote. We’re currently trying to nail down several classes that will be of interest to office managers and support staff, and are trying to schedule a series of workshops that will be of interest to faculty and program assistants. Stay tuned for more information.
Questions or comments about the 2015 OSU Extension Conference? Please contact the 2015 OSU Extension Conference coordinator, Gail Langellotto.
OSU Cascades/Bend (Central Oregon) – 9/21/15 and 9/22/15 – 2-part Search Advocate workshop series, 8 am to 3 pm on Monday 9/21 and 8-11 am on Tuesday 9/22 (10 hours)
La Grande (Eastern Oregon) – 9/24/15 – Full-Day Search Advocate workshop (9 hours)
Central Point (Southern Oregon) – 1/25/16 – Full-Day Search Advocate Workshop (9 hours)
Search Advocate Update Session (extends search advocate eligibility for 12 months)
OSU Cascades/Bend (Central Oregon) – 9/22/15 – 1 pm to 4:30 pm (3.5 hours)
Practical Introduction to Cheesemaking Short Course, October 6-8, Oregon State University