HAPPY PI DAY!!!
In this week’s issue:
- Congratulations Rose Jepson-Sullivan
- ACE Director-elect for Professional Development, Victor Villegas
- CLATSOP COUNTY CHICK CAM!!!!
- 2016 University Outreach and Engagement Colloquium
- Together Towards Tomorrow: 2016 Spring Conference
- STOP and Think before you send that email out to OES State!
- Become a Twitter Phenom with eXtension
- Upcoming eXtension Webinars
- The EESC Express: EESC Online Photo Archive
Congratulations Rose Jepson-Sullivan
Rose Jepson-Sullivan welcomed a sweet little baby boy to the world on Friday, March 11 at 8:22AM. Please leave a comment to congratulate Rose, Andrew and precious Owen George.
ACE Director-elect for Professional Development, Victor Villegas
The Association of Communications Excellence (ACE) members have elected Victor Villegas as the Director-elect for Professional Development. He now joins the ACE Board of Directors helping guide our organization as it continues to grow and evolve. He will assume the duties of that office at our 2016 Memphis Conference and summer board meeting in June. This leadership track results in Victor moving into Professional Development director the following year and serving in that role through June 2019.
Congratulations Victor! Thank you for representing OSU!
CLATSOP COUNTY CHICK CAM!!!
Check out the Chicks of Clatsop County broadcasting LIVE on the Clatsop County Extension website.
They will be placed in the incubator on March 16th or 17th and will incubate for 21 days. The expected hatch date will be April 6th or 7th.
2016 University Outreach and Engagement Colloquium
- 11:30 a.m. – Community engagement is showcased starting with lunch and presentation of the Vice Provost Awards of Excellence and Alberta B. Johnston Awards for Extension Excellence
- 12:45 p.m. – Four (4) fast-paced, five minute Ignite-style presentations highlight exceptional OSU engagement initiatives
- Nicole Strong, Assistant Professor (Practice), Forestry and Natural Resources Extension: Forest restoration community outreach
- Mark Farley, Hatfield Marine Science Center Cyberlab Project Manager: Working waterfront and business development apps build community and engage visitors
- Chinweike Eseonu, Assistant Professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering: Sope-making machine created by OSU students expands capacity of local business
- Mike Miller and Mark Stiffler, Ecampus Course Development and Training: Media objects developed for online courses
- 1:30 p.m. – Publicly Engaged Scholarship in the 21st Century: BEWARE OF SHRINKING IMAGINATION, keynote presentation by Dr. Timothy K. Eatman
- 2:15 p.m. – Poster session (and dessert), a showcase of diverse outreach and engagement efforts across OSU
Together Towards Tomorrow: 2016 Spring Conference
4-H, FCH and NEP faculty and staff will be busy this week as they attend meetings and presentations in Portland at their annual spring conference. The whole Extension family is looking forward to hearing about the amazing work that comes from this conference.
STOP and Think before you send that email out to OES State!
The ConnEXTions blog was redesigned to address the issue of email overload. Instead of sending out an email every time leadership wanted to address the OSU Extension statewide community every time a non time sensitive subject arose, they would wait for it to be addressed in the weekly email. Since the frequency of information dissemination went from monthly to weekly, it was easier to do this.
If your communication isn’t time sensitive, email email@example.com to have your information included in ConnEXTions. If you think your information will exceed the 250 word limit, you can condense it to the basic info, but include links to more information. Deadline for submissions will now be extended to noon on Fridays to encourage more to use this service.
We want to help cut down on information overload and help prevent messaging from getting lost in inboxes.
Become a Twitter Phenom with eXtension
The Division of University Outreach and Engagement is entering the world of Twitter (@OSU_OandE, #OSUEngage) and eXtension is making it easy for us.
Why embrace Twitter? It is an easy way to share information of value with peers, co-workers, community stakeholders and others. And you can post photos of the good work you’re doing and gain additional visibility.
If you’ve thought about using Twitter, but you haven’t tweeted yet and want to learn, read on.
WHAT: “Twitter in 15 Minutes!” a mini-webinar hosted by Victor Villegas. Learn Twitter basics and practice a few tweets to get the hang of it.
WHEN: March 17 at 11:15 a.m.
WHERE: To connect to the webinar, just click on this link. “Twitter in 15 Minutes” will be recorded and additional Twitter sessions will be scheduled in the coming weeks.
WHY: Engage with thought leaders, community stakeholders, and Outreach and Engagement (O&E) leadership and peers. We’ll be using Twitter to create conversation around the upcoming O&E Colloquium on April 12, where Dr. Timothy K. Eatman (@tkeatman) will discuss “Beware the Shrinking Imagination,” a declaration for us to reclaim engagement at the core of the university’s role in public life.
Upcoming eXtension Webinars
Adobe Photoshop 101 – March 16 at 11:00AM Pacific Time
Unmanned Aircraft in Agriculture: Pest Management & Flight Performance: March 16 at 12:00PM Pacific Time
Twitter in 15 Minutes! – March 17 at 11:30AM Pacific Time
The EESC Express: EESC Online Photo Archives
The next EESC/Express leaves the station Thursday, March 17th from 10– 10:30am
Hop aboard and join us for a short, 30-minute ride with—
- Karen Zimmermann, Communications Support Specialist
- Jeff Hino, EESC Learning Technology Leader
This week Karen will be sharing our EESC online photo archives, and showing you how to access award-winning photos for use in your outreach activities. Guaranteed to be useful stuff to know!
Get on board the web show here and enter meeting number 929 717 931
Brought to you every 3rd Thursday at 10 a.m. by Extension and Experiment Station Communications