Typical vs. Maximal Performance

In most job positions I would prefer a reliable performer like Jamie. Although it can be tempting to choose someone with as much potential as Avery I don’t like the idea of having someone working for me who puts in so little effort. By waiting to be driven by motivation – which comes and goes – Avery is really only beneficial a fraction of the time and I would feel obligated to try to motivate them. However, although Jamie doesn’t have the natural talent they are consistent and reliable. This means I can plan accordingly, knowing exactly what they are able to contribute, rather than gambling on whether Avery feels like it. 

I think somebody like Avery would do well in a career like Real Estate. In this career path there tend to be many ups and downs where Avery could use bursts of motivation. Following this pattern, they could make large payouts from flurries of activity and then lay low for a while. Obviously to be as successful as possible Avery should continue putting in effort consistently, but choosing a career with some flexibility could be helpful, though they do need some guidance.

I think Jamie would do well in Jamie would do well in a general management position. They are very reliable and responsible which is important to be a successful leader. Therefore, I think Jamie would do well handling the routine tasks of an organization and performing at a consistent level. However, I would caution against any management positions that are extremely high stakes or frequently require adapting to complicated problems. 

Join the Conversation

3 Comments

1. Hi!
    I agree that I would hire Jamie over Avery for the first job, i think that you can teach someone how to become a great employee if they have the work ethic, but it is harder to coach someone with a weak work ethic. I think that his performance can be greatly improved with coaching from other employees as long as he is a self driven employee

2. Hello Courtney,
    I agree that Jamie would do well in a general management position. If she was in a management position, she would be consistent in helping her subordinates know what needs to be accomplished. She would put out a good amount of effort everyday to keep everyone on the same page. I think what you said about Avery makes sense. A career in real estate would give her more flexibility and more choices in terms of different projects she could work on.

3. Hey Courtney,
    I agree that Jaime would be best for this position. I think you are right that Avery is valuable because they are able to step up to the plate when they need to, but I think that consistency is one of the most valuable things in an employee. I think you’re right that Avery would do well in real estate! They would be able to work when they are motivated and wouldn’t have to be very consistent to be successful.