IPIP Results & Reactions

I took the longer version of the test. My results on extroversion were average (45), which means I like spending time with other people, but I also value time alone. As an introvert, I’m actually a little surprised that I scored even that high. My score on agreeableness was high (78), which is an indication of sympathy and cooperativeness. Under this domain my highest score was in sympathy (94). I also scored high in conscientiousness (74). The highest score I got under the conscientiousness domain, cautiousness (84), was a trait I never recognized as a characteristic of being reliable and determined. I scored low in neuroticism (32), which was a relief. My highest score in this domain was self consciousness (72). I scored high on openness to experience (81), with the highest characteristic being emotionality (88).

A potential employer may look at my scores in each domain and analyze them to use in hiring decisions. They may look at my score on extroversion and realize that, while I enjoy being around people, I would not be fit for a position where I had not time to myself. I think that having an average score in any of the five domains, leaves some ambiguity. In these cases, I believe there should be more inquiry related to the personality domain in question. An employer may look at my high scores in agreeableness, and assess that I may do well speaking directly with clients. I may also do well in understanding their needs and building their trust. My score in conscientiousness is high, which would make a potential employer assume that I am able to carry out tasks efficiently and effectively. The fact I scored especially high in cautiousness may work for me, or against me. An employer may be looking for someone who is willing to take more risks. My low score in neuroticism would most likely influence an employer to believe I am emotionally stable and mature. I’m not the type to cause drama and I will do my best to keep a positive attitude. My high score In openness to experience, would indicate that I am flexible. It may convey that I am creative and like to come up with new ideas. I enjoy learning new methods and more effective ways to accomplish tasks.

3 replies on “IPIP Results & Reactions”

Hi Esther,
I think you did a really good job of analyzing what an employer might see when looking to hire you. I think you make a good point about your cautiousness being a strength or a weakness depending on the hiring manager and the position you are applying for. I like how you go over the strengths and weaknesses of each trait depending on the situation. Thank you for sharing!

Hi Esther!

I think you did a really good job of analyzing how your scores could potentially translate to your job performance. I like that you didn’t address them in absolutes though because there are still a lot of uncertain variables. Like showing how your cautiousness could be a benefit or a drawback I think most qualities could go either way. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Esther,
Wow! According to your score, it seems like you could be an applicant every employer wants! You scored high on a lot of the traits except for neuroticism. I like what you said about the ambiguity of “average scores” or scores that are in the middle of the spectrum. Things like these can be highly situational which the test doesn’t reflect. I took the simplified version and I assume most people did. I am sure they would give you even more accurate findings if you took the full test.