Experiences with Discrimination

If my favorite company had a lawsuit against them, because they were thought to be discriminating against a certain population of people, I would certainly change my view of the company. I would associate the company with negative discriminatory practices, and be less inclined to buy their products or services. I would research the claims against the company extensively before making a decision to continue to support them. If I found that they were, in fact discriminating, and not doing anything to help the situation, I would be influenced to stop supporting the company, thus stop supporting the discriminatory practices.

Knowing that this company was participating in discriminatory practices, I would not want to apply to work there. Personally, I would like to align my values with my career. Since I value equality, my culture and my beliefs, I would not tolerate them being infringed upon. I realize this comes from someone living in the developed world; I have options in terms of companies I may work for and careers I may pursue. That being said, I would not be willing to work at the company at this point in time, even if it had been a goal of mine before. If the company is able to come out of the lawsuit with a new action plan to stop the present discrimination, I may reconsider applying for the job. I would express my concerns at the interview and explain that I would like to be a part of their change in creating a more welcoming workplace.

4 replies on “Experiences with Discrimination”

Hey Esther,

I enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing! I appreciated that you mentioned doing some additional research on the lawsuit before deciding to discontinue your support for them. It is especially important in today’s fast-paced news world that we double check on big news and not believe the first thing we read. The detail you included about aligning your values with your career was great, and I strive to do the same in my career. We want to work somewhere that makes us feel like we are doing something good for ourselves and the world. Working for a company who was discriminating against any demographic would instantly turn me away, whether I associated with that demographic or not. Great post!

Hi Esther!
I said something pretty similar to you. I wouldn’t listen to the first news story I saw on the subject, but do some research to see if the claims were substantiated and what the company was doing to correct their practices. I agree that I wouldn’t want to work at a company that discriminates like this, but I may consider it if they start taking corrective action. You made your points very nicely, good post!

Hi Esther,
Thanks for sharing your awesome view on workplace discrimination. I have a similar view to you and I agree that whether our personal values are contracted to the company’s value is a determinant point to apply the job. Great post!

Hi Esther!

I completely agree with you on this topic. I also talked about how it would be important for me to fully understand the situation before abandoning the company. I think it is really important to have a clear view of the company especially if you are considering working there. You also mentioned that you would give the company another chance if they were actively making changes. This would be really important to me too. I think second chances are good, but I would need evidence that they deserve it. Great post, thanks for sharing!