Job Application Experience

The last job I applied for was a paid internship at Providence Health & Services. The application process for this job was definitely the most complicated I have ever gone through. I was able to look at the organization’s intern hiring process on the Providence Oregon Careers website. Reading through this process almost turned me away because it seemed really time consuming. After thinking about it, I decided that all these steps were a good thing, as it meant the organization was very careful about who they hired on.

The first action I took in their hiring process was sending in my resume. I sent this in within a couple of days after they started accepting spring applications. I waited about two weeks for a response. Finally, the recruitment manager sent me an email saying I had made it to the next stage of the hiring process. The email included a link to an online interview where I was to record myself answering a series of about five questions. The nature of these questions made me realize that this was definitely an organization I wanted to work for. For example, one of the questions asked me to describe an way of thinking I used to have about something, then how and why my way of thinking changed about the same topic.

The recruitment manager sent me an email shortly after I submitted the response videos. She told me I had moved on to the final stage of the hiring process, an in-person panel style interview. I was very nervous about this, but I actually enjoyed the style of interview. It allowed me to see different people’s perspectives of qualities that the ideal candidate has. Overall, the process was very informative and I am happy to say that I got an internship.

5 replies on “Job Application Experience”

Hey Esther,

I really enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing! I’m glad to see that some people have had a good experience with their last hiring process, it seems like a lot of posts have been more negative. The details you included about the different types of interviews you were put through is a good testament of how serious the organization you applied for was. Congrats on receiving the internship by the way!

Esther,

This is a good example of a company that takes their hiring process serious. for healthcare that makes sense.

I have also been there in the sense of being turned off by a company that has a ton of steps or extra questions aside from the resume and cover letter. However, doing this allows you to get more experience in seeing what companies look for when they are hiring. Good for you for sticking though the whole process.

I have not been in a big panel interview but I have done interviews where there is a mother candidate with me and one interviewer asking us the same questions which is really weird.

Hi Esther,

I totally understand how seeing the process outlined can be intimidating. However, I think you were completely right in knowing that a longer process also means they are serious about finding the correct person for the job. You must have impressed them, congratulations on getting the internship!

Hey Esther!
I like how you changed your perspective from being apprehensive because the application process was long to being interested because it seemed like they were putting a lot of work into deciding who to hire. I also really like panel interviews. It can be nerve-wracking to sit in front of a bunch of people to answer questions, but I feel like it’s easier to connect with future coworkers if you meet more of them during the interview. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Ester!
Im really glad that you had a good last experience with the application process. I also liked the separate stages of the interview portion, and the video responses. I think in person interviews are good but often times people are nervous so the video responses can help them together their thoughts. Good job and congratulations on the internship!