The Office of Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, & the Arts (Office of URSA) is excited to announce this year’s call for faculty submissions for the 2020-2021 URSA Engage Program, a program designed to provide first and second year students, and transfer students in their first year at OSU, opportunities to pursue research or a creative activity under the guidance of an OSU faculty mentor.
The mentor summary submission form can be accessed at this link (see “Step 1”).
While we hope that undergraduates and mentors will be able to work together in-person during the 2020-2021 school year, we are planning for the possibility that students in the URSA Engage Program will be required to engage in research remotely. Click here for a collection of strategies that OSU mentors are currently using to keep their undergraduates engaged in research while working remotely (this is a live document – feel free to contribute if you have other ideas).
Below are the four major steps involved in selection for the URSA Engage Program. More detailed information about eligibility and deadlines can be found on our website.
- Faculty submit the mentor summary form by October 19, 2020.
- The opportunities submitted by faculty will be posted on our website for students to view on October 23rd.
- Students will read through mentor summaries and reach out to faculty mentors they are interested in working with. Students and faculty will then discuss shared interests and whether they want to work together on a project.
- Faculty will ultimately decide which student(s) they will allow to move forward with an application to the URSA Engage Program (i.e. students cannot apply until they have a mentor secured).
- Students who have secured a mentor will then apply to the URSA Engage Program. Student applications will be evaluated by the Office of URSA.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We appreciate your partnership and willingness to mentor students early in their careers at OSU!