Initial Posting Date: 08/01/2019
Agency:Department of Consumer & Business Services
Salary Range:$3,664 – $5,339
Position Title:Laboratory Technician (Chemist 1)
To protect and serve Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate.
The Department of Consumer and Business Services (DCBS) is a progressive business regulatory state agency dedicated to the mission of protecting and serving Oregon’s consumers and workers while supporting a positive business climate. The department administers state laws and rules governing workers’ compensation, occupational safety and health, financial institutions, insurance companies and building codes. The department has consumer protection and education programs, offices, and ombudsmen to help consumers, injured workers, and businesses.
This position is with the Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA). Oregon OSHA is responsible for assuring safe and healthful working conditions for Oregon workers through promulgation and enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Regulations, and by providing education and consultation to employees and employers.
This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a productive and creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
Here’s what you will do:
The successful candidate will perform basic analytical testing; prepare and supply field occupational health specialists with sampling media needed to perform exposure sampling; assist chemists and an electronics technician in more complex tests; receive and log in samples; purchase lab supplies; maintain clean glassware supply; and manage the lab’s chemical inventory and hazardous waste.
Here’s what you need to qualify:
- Three years of experience performing chemical tests and procedures;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry.
Note: If you are using your Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry to qualify, please attach a copy of your transcript for degree verification. Transcripts must be from an accredited institution within the US and must include your name, coursework completed with a passing grade, degree and date received, and institution name.
- Training in basic laboratory techniques, routine testing methods and reagent preparation
- Knowledge of chemistry and basic safety rules for working with hazardous chemicals
- Skill in office procedures and handling of laboratory apparatus, chemicals and instruments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You must clearly demonstrate in your application and application materials that you meet the qualifications listed. Failure to provide this information may result in not being considered further.
How To Apply:
- To apply for this position, click on the “Apply” button to fill out the online application and complete the questionnaire.
- A cover letter is required for this job posting. Please attach it in the “My Experience” section under Resume/CV in the application.
- Only complete applications received by the posted application deadline date will be considered.
After you apply:
- Log in to your Workday account before the job announcement closes to see if you have any pending tasks or actions. These can be found under the “My Applications” section.
- Make sure to complete these tasks or actions before the job announcement closes.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- As part of the application selection process, you may be asked to complete a skills assessment or submit a writing sample.
- Employment will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans’ preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. NOTE: If claiming veterans preference please be sure to check your Workday account for pending tasks or actions under your “My Applications” section.
- The Department of Consumer and Business Services does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, you will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Helpful Links And Contact Information:
Learn more about DCBS
Understanding the State Application Process
Help & Support webpage
Learn more about Oregon
For additional information you may contact us by e-mail at DCBS.Recruiting@oregon.gov or by phone at 503-378-3200.
DCBS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workforce diversity.