Occupational Safety and Health Research Fellowship
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE)
POSTION: This ORISE fellowship will be located at the Center for Workers’ Compensation Studies (CWCS) within the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in Cincinnati, Ohio.
BACKGROUND –The mission of the CWCS is to support the use of workers’ compensation data and systems to improve workplace safety and health. Workers’ compensation (WC) claims may be filed after a worker is injured or becomes ill due to their job. Claims include the nature of injury/illness, how the injury/illness occurred, the type and cost of medical care received, cost of partial wage replacement, the number of days off work, and injured worker characteristics (occupation, age, sex, time with the employer, etc.). Insurers also collect employer data on workplace safety, ergonomic, and industrial hygiene exposures and controls. See the CWCS Website for more information about the center: www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/workerComp/CWCS/.
DUTIES – The Occupational Safety and Health Research Fellow with be responsible for the following duties:
• Develop a database of safety, ergonomic, industrial hygiene, and return-to-work interventions across industries by reviewing peer reviewed literature and other data sources
• Support ongoing CWCS studies on exposure assessment and intervention effectiveness with external partners
• Conduct WC claims analyses to understand trends by industry, occupation, employer size, geographical area, cause, part of body, diagnoses, treatment (including opioid use) and worker characteristics
SKILLS AND ABILITIES –The following background is preferred:
• Experience with Microsoft office tools – Excel, Access, SQL and statistical software (SAS)
• Experience in occupational safety and health practice and research
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A master’s level degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Public Health, or a closely related field is preferred. This is a one-year fellowship. Anticipated start date is flexible, April to July 2018. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience. ORISE is an equal opportunity employer. Contact email@example.com for more information.