Making a difference at Avery Park

AVERY PARK

By : Wilson Christian Loga    From : Canada

By having the English through volunteering class , we had the chance to go to Avery Park for some volunteer work. I had never heard about Avery Park before due to the fact that I was new to Corvallis and Oregon State University. I lent a hand to the people that were in charge of keeping Avery Park clean year-round and I was looking forward to being out there with my classmates so we could make a difference. In all honesty, I was a little bit nervous because I didn’t know if I could get the job done perfectly. I enjoyed working in teams to make sure Avery Park stays clean when I left and I put smiles on people’s faces. Those were my expectations. I didn’t think about playing a specific role in my team. I went there to  accomplish the given tasks.

My experience at Avery Park was pretty awesome. I filled the wheelbarrow with a lot of mulch and I was in a group of 6 along with my classmates. My role was to fill in empty spaces on the ground with mulch by using a small rake and doing that with finesse. I felt good about mulching because Steve thoroughly explained to us what we were going to do. I thought I was the right person to do those tasks. I gained experience by doing the volunteer project because I helped by contributing to the flourishing of different type of roses that’s going to take place later on this year. I learned a lot about myself. I can be somebody that can volunteer with a group of people to make a difference in the community. I never imagined myself doing that type of activity unless I was getting paid. I wasn’t surprised about the volunteering experience because, even though it was my first time doing it, I’ve seen people do that type of activity.

The volunteering work was crucial so the roses could flourish later throughout the year. I’d definitely want to be a volunteer again because I can work in teams to do something positive for the nature or for people in general.