Do you have a torn shirt, broken bike, or otherwise damaged items? Bring them to the Winter Repair Fair on Wednesday, February 24 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM in the OSUsed Store (644 SW 13th Street).
Volunteers will teach you how to fix your broken items; attend demos to learn more skills! See the list below for this month’s skills and demonstrations. The event is free and open to all.
Repair skills offered:
- Appliances and Electronics
- Clothing (hand and machine sewing)
- Computer Diagnostics
- Housewares (furniture, ceramics, lamps, etc.)
- Woodwind Instruments and Accordions
- And more!
All demos are a drop-in format; stop by any time during the hour to learn new skills. Demos offered will include:
5:30 – 6:20 PM
- Darn It: Learn How to Darn Socks & Knits – Many times, socks, jackets, and sweaters are working great, until you wear through the toe, elbow, or snag them on something. Darning is a method of fixing holes using only thread, rather than sewing a patch on. Drop by to see how it’s done, leave with hands-on experience. (Leader: Sheila Nelson, Master Recycler)
- Designer Drinks: Water Bottle Decorating – Have you ever thought of a cool design you want to show off but didn’t know where to display it? Come decorate a reusable water bottle so that you can show off your personal style while you reduce wasteful disposable water bottles. Bottles provided, or bring your own. (Leader: Fresh From the Faucet)
6:30 – 7:30 PM
- From Cups to Crops: Making Seed Starters – Find out firsthand how easy it is to start preparing for a garden as we make seed starters in coffee cups. Leave with your very own seeds planted in rich soil and be ready to start adding to your garden this spring. Both herbs and lettuce seeds will be available so you can even start a windowsill garden! (Leader: Margaret McCormick, Waste Watcher)
- All Wrapped Up: Decorating Rocks with Wire – The art of wire bending is used to make many things from jewelry to hooks. You are invited to bring a special object or rock if you would like to make a pendant out of it, though some stones will be provided. (Leader: Micco Emeson, SSI Landscape Coordinator)
Note: We don’t have spare parts, but will do our best to repair what we can and/or refer you to where you could find the parts you need. If you have parts already, we may be able to help you install them.
Directions: We are located at 644 SW 13th St. in Corvallis; see a map of the entrance and parking here; view our building on Google Maps here. Please enter through the warehouse gate on 13th Street, between A Ave. and the railroad tracks. City buses 3, 6 and 8 stop within 2-4 blocks of our building while routes1, 5 and 7 stop 6 blocks away at 11th & Monroe (view full details on the Corvallis Transit System website or use Google Transit to find the best option for you).
Join this event on Facebook.