Bring those broken or damaged items to the Student Edition of the Repair Fair on Wednesday, October 21 from 2:00 – 4:00 PM. This time, the event will be held at the Student Experience Center Plaza (2251 SW Jefferson Way) located between the Student Experience Center and the MU Quad.
Volunteers will teach you how to fix your broken items; attend demos to learn more skills! See the list below for this month’s skills and demonstrations. The event is free and open to all.
Repair skills offered:
- Appliances (small items only, please)
- Boots and Shoes
- Clothing (hand and machine sewing)
- Electronics (small items only, please)
- Housewares (furniture, ceramics, lamps, etc.)
- And more!
All demos are a drop-in format, but will run for the entire event. Demos offered will include:
- Low Car Diet: Cheap & Easy Ways to Go Car-Lite – Trying to figure out how to travel around Corvallis without a car? Looking for rides or ways to travel of town? Want to bring your bike with you on the bus? Join OSU Transportation Services for a hands-on demo of the Drive Less. Connect Program to help you set up carpools in your area. Learn the ropes for loading a bike onto a bus bike rack and practice right on-site. Bring your transportation questions and stop by to learn about the many options that are available to you at OSU and in the Corvallis Community. (Leader: Breanna Fraser-Hevlin, Outreach Assistant for Transportation Services)
- Sort It Out: Everything You Want to Know about Recycling – Ever had a specific waste item and not known if it should go in the trash or recycling? Drop by this demo booth and learn from the masters – the Master Recyclers of Linn and Benton Counties! Play the sorting game or simply bring your questions and questionable items. (Leaders: Linn Benton Master Recyclers)
- Down to the Sole: Basic Shoe & Boot Repair – Drop by to learn how re-attach loose soles, fix scrapes and tears, and polish shoes to lengthen the life of your footwear. We’ll show you how it’s done and you can try your hand at it with our sample shoes. Or, bring along your own and get them fixed up! (Leaders: GEO 300 class project group)
- Clean Up Your Act: DIY Green Cleaning – Be kind to the environment and your wallet at the same time! Come learn how you can use a few basic, food-safe ingredients to clean your whole home. Bonus: Take home a free sample, mason jar included! (Leader: Jessica Collins, Program Assistant for Oregon State University Campus Recycling)
Note: We don’t have spare parts, but will do our best to repair what we can and/or refer you to where you could find the parts you need. If you have parts already, we may be able to help you install them.
Directions:The Student Experience Center Plaza is the new outdoor, covered area between the Memorial Union and the new Student Experience Center (S.E.C.). View the S.E.C. on the OSU campus map (http://oregonstate.edu/campusmap/?locations=1025) to see the locations and parking options.
Join this event on Facebook.
Save the Date: November Repair Fair
Can’t make it to the October event? Don’t worry: we will be hosting a second Repair Fair on Tuesday, Nov. 10 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM. Repair skills and demos are TBA.