Waste Watchers Spotlight: Andrea Norris

Name: Andrea Norris Title/Nickname: Known as Dre in the WW. Marketing & Development Coordinator for Campus Recycling. Degree: B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Year in School:Graduated in 2008 When did you start volunteering with the Waste Watchers? I’m fortunate enough to be a founding mother! Our volunteer team officially named itself the Waste Watchers in […]

May 20, 2014

Dre in dumpsterName: Andrea Norris

Title/Nickname: Known as Dre in the WW. Marketing & Development Coordinator for Campus Recycling.

Degree: B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife

Year in School:Graduated in 2008

When did you start volunteering with the Waste Watchers?

I’m fortunate enough to be a founding mother! Our volunteer team officially named itself the Waste Watchers in the summer of 2012.

What has been your favorite project or event that the Waste Watchers have been involved in?

I am going to be unoriginal and also say the Repair Fairs as my favorite Waste Watchers project. The Repair Fairs are a response to a throwaway society, planned obsolescence and a culture of consumerism. They seek to replace these traits with a culture of reuse, frugality and human connection. It’s amusing to me that such a simple concept is somewhat countercultural. We’re repair rebels!

What keeps you volunteering with the Waste Watchers?

The people! I look forward to our weekly meetings where we share ideas and enthusiasm. Spending time with others who are passionate about sustainability and waste reduction is what gives me the energy to go on…in my job and in life in general!

What would you like to see the Waste Watchers do in the future?

I would like to see the Waste Watchers develop and deepen connections to other student organizations on campus through events and other partnerships. And while we’re making Waste Watcher wishes, I would one day like to see us be a household name!

What is one way you reduce waste in your everyday life?

I strive to reduce or eliminate packaging, recyclable or not. The majority of my purchases in life are groceries and I avoid packaging by buying mostly whole foods, like grains and nuts in bulk (in reused containers) and fruits and vegetables (in reused produce bags). This means I have needed to prioritize my time to include time for preparing food from scratch. It’s worth it – for my health, my budget and the environment.

Want to learn more about the Waste Watchers? Visit the volunteer webpage to learn more about how to get involved.

TAGS:

CATEGORIES: Campus Recycling Waste Reduction