View the Meeting Slides here: DC 1.9.2019
We are so excited to have such an energized and diverse group of Diversity Champions for 2019!
During this first meeting, we introduced ourselves, debriefed the Introduction to Courageous Conversations training at the Extension Annual Conference (EAC), and reviewed the upcoming year’s program and resources available to the team.
Participants expressed that the Introduction to Courageous Conversations session was personally meaningful, and helped shed light on the impact of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in our job as Extension Professionals and community conveners. However, many participants expressed the urgency of placing DEI at the center of our organization’s professional development and not as an added training that conflicts with other sessions and (mandatory) program meetings.
The team expressed how deeply impactful it would be to expand the Courageous Conversations training and protocol to other (or all!) aspects of our organization, not just the Diversity Champions team. There was feedback that when these types of training are voluntary, instead of required, it can end up feeling like we are “preaching to the choir” and not reaching the people who need it most. This propagates the inequitable trend of DEI work being done by a small number of overworked people, rather than spread out equally within our organization.
2019 Program & Team Resources:
You can find an overview of the upcoming year here, and visit the links below to start exploring our team resources. In addition, be sure to visit our website to check out the Statewide Resource Maps and DEI Events Calendar.
- Listserves: https://lists.oregonstate.edu/
- Team Blog: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/diversitychampions/
- Team Box Folder: https://oregonstate.box.com/s/nim6vte6815wa30ggegfjrs5s4xa9wul
- Kanopy streaming service: https://guides.library.oregonstate.edu/c.php?g=562121&p=3869582
- OSU Media archives: https://media.oregonstate.edu/
- Diversity Highlights (in ConnEXTions weekly E-Newsletter): http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/extconnextion/#010818tag5
FYI: Registration for the Black Minds Matter course (that Rita shared at the end of our meeting) can be found here: https://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4PkAbgZOk9vJf8x
Black Minds Matter: Oregon State University’s Corvallis Campus is a broadcast site for the Black Minds Matter course. Black Minds Matter is a 10-week public course that focuses on addressing issues affecting Black student success in secondary education. Click this link to register or to sign up for more information about upcoming courses. Contact Email: AA.AAESS@oregonstate.edu.
Other Key Takeaways:
- To continue participating on this year’s team, you must fill out a membership form by next Friday, January 18.
- If you need a copy of the Courageous Conversations Field Guide book (Author: Glenn Singleton, 2nd edition), please email email@example.com.
- If you did not attend the Courageous Conversations session at this year’s or last year’s Extension Annual Conference, let you know so we can get you up to speed with the protocol.
- Next meeting is Wednesday, February 6, 10am – 11am. Please read part one of the book prior to this meeting. A calendar invitation will be sent out to team members after program registration closes on January 18.
We can’t wait to work with you!
-Ana Lu, and the DEI team