Discrimination in My Favorite Company

If I came across a news article that stated my favorite company was being faced with a public lawsuit because they were accused of widespread discrimination against individuals from the same ethnicity, culture, or belief system I associate with, no doubt would it change how I felt about the company. I do not tolerate discrimination of any sort. I don’t care if it’s discrimination against people or a group I don’t normally associate with, I would not be okay with it. Of course, I’d conduct further research to ensure the article was not falsely reported, as I have always trusted this company, but it would be hurtful to know that a company I support and appreciate very much would be partaking in this kind of behavior.

It would be very difficult to continue to support a company that is doing something against my ethical values and beliefs. I know I would have instant guilt for unknowingly contributing to this terrible act in the past and wouldn’t want to associate myself in any way, shape, or form moving forward. It’s almost like this company betrayed itself, it’s employees, and it’s customers. Who would want to work for or be a part of a company that can’t hold themselves to a high standard? I know I wouldn’t.

Company culture is very important to me. I want to work for a company that aligns with my personal values. Clearly, this company, who I thought once did, no longer does. How does one defend a company that goes against people’s morals? It would be difficult. This article would allow me to realize that it’s time to move on and take my interests elsewhere. I could only hope others would do the same. 

2 replies on “Discrimination in My Favorite Company”

Hello Delani!
I think most people are going to say it will change the way they look at the companies and how they view them. Not many people will still show support for a company with these claims against them. It changes the entire way you think of the company and ho they represent themselves. Why would someone want to show support for a company that best support and treat there own employees equally? Do you think that these cases are “swept under the rug” for companies so that the general public won’t find out about it? I do think that a lot of companies try to hide any of these reports because they know the media and public relations will go way down.

Hi Delani,
I like how you mentioned that discrimination is not okay even if it’s against a person or group you normally don’t associate with. Often times we can focus solely on our own beliefs and backgrounds. After learning that your favorite company discriminated against people do you think your heart would change if they apologize and made an effort to not repeat the same mistake? I believe in forgiving others but sometimes a situation can be so bad it can be hard to want to support a company even after they apologized.