BHS 323 Writing Assignment #5

Prompt: What choices do you make in terms of food/nutrition/product use and consumption that may have an impact on your microbial communities? Consider choices that are intentional, and choices that are perhaps non-intentional.

I think a lot about gut health and the impact that foods have on my body long after eating them. I started eating a low carbohydrate diet almost 3 years ago. For me, low-carb meant entering ketosis and lots of anti-inflammatory processes. I started following this diet mainly as an experiment to see how it would make me feel and what impact it would have on my body. By doing so, I started eating far less fiber (no rice, bread, grains, etc) and far less sugar. I noticed that my digestive issues were lessening. I felt less bloated and had less digestive pain.

I have continued a lower-carbohydrate diet due to its effect on how I feel. I know I am eating less sugar and processed foods than I would be eating a “normal” diet. I try to avoid foods containing excess sugar or inflammatory proteins to avoid proliferation of bacteria that feed off of such foods. I have tried to start implementing more fermented foods into my diet such as sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, and I regularly drink kombucha. I don’t take any probiotic supplements as I have yet to see evidence that I really believe supports the notion that purchasing these expensive supplements will increase gut microbial communities. I do eat cheese, but usually steer clear of yogurt and kefir due to all the added sugars.

These are all intentional choices. I try to be very intentional with the foods I am selecting to eat and don’t have too many unintentional food choices that could affect my gut microbial communities.