So what’s the difference between an area of specialization and a minor? The basic difference is that earning a minor means taking elective graduate courses within a specific discipline (Ethnic Studies, Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies, etc.) and you’ll have a minor professor in the department to advise you through this process. Fifteen credits are required to earn the minor and it will show up on your transcript.

If you pursue the area of specialization option, you choose more of an area of emphasis (functional area, topical area) and must complete 12 credits of coursework (including a minimum of 3 credits of internship). Although your classes will be listed on your transcript, your area of specialization will not. This option is a little bit more flexible, as you can take a variety of classes to fulfill the requirement. A few examples of areas of specialization include student wellness or cross-cultural studies

Depending on your career goals and interests, one or the other may be more suitable for you. Feel free to browse the graduate student course catalog online to start thinking about elective courses you may want to take throughout your time in CSSA. This may help you with your decision about which path to take: minor or specialization.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share and Enjoy!

    Leave a reply

    <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>