May 03 2012

Video Ideas for my Online Class

Filed under Uncategorized

Posted by Kathy Austin at Monday, April 23, 2012 9:56:14 PM PDT – I originally posted this to the Small Group Blog, then eventually figured out that I needed to post this to the Whole Class Blog. So . . . Here is what I came up with!

This was a rather frustrating exercise for me, but I did manage to find something useful. I searched the TED files and Merlot.org and came up empty handed. I hit paydirt in You Tube! And what did I find, but a TED lecture! Go figure. Anyway, I am always looking for better ways to deliver classroom content that is relevant to students. Since I am a teacher of teachers, this is particularly important for my students. They will need to take the methods I teach back to their own classrooms and make them meaningful to middle and high school students. The link I’ve included here is a fabulous way to turn education upside down and deliver learning to students in such a way as to meet them at their highly techno savvy level. This video by Salman Khan explains how educators might video tape a lesson for students to view at home, then have them do their homework in class where the teacher can help them! What a great idea!

Since the thematic unit I want to model involved different types of imprisonment using young adult literature, the link to British escape and elusive maneuvers will fit right in.

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Video Ideas for my Online Class”

1.   Marc Curtison 03 May 2012 at 3:52 pm     Reply1

I like the idea of assigning students the lecture content, maybe with an active learning activity to help use the content, and then use class time for students to work through questions, scenarios or other activities that use the content, and/or have students ask specific questions regarding what they did not understand from reading or viewing the lecture.

Or maybe a mix. Use the first half of class to work through questions from the previous lecture content and then use the second half to introduce the next lecture, then students view the content at home and prepare for the next class where they have to use the content, and repeat the cycle.

2.   Kathy Austinon 03 May 2012 at 5:13 pm     Reply2

Great ideas, Marc. I think this inverted method might be something to consider for lab classes where there isn’t always enough time to finish the lab when a lecture is also a part of the daily lesson. OSU typically schedules separate lab times, but maybe an instructor could include some additional instruction via a vidoe lecture for homework prior to the lab to help engage students more fully and assist in understanding. This whole idea just sang for me.

3.   Jennifer Gervaison 04 May 2012 at 12:30 pm     Reply3

Hi Kathy, I really like your idea and Marc’s modifications. I like the idea of introducing the laboratory out of the classroom, then having the in-class part be students working on the assignment together with the instructor immediately available to help. I also like the idea of having an additional exercise that gets tackled in the classroom based on the lecture content the students viewed outside of class. By the way, when I tried to watch the video embedded in your post, I got an error message saying “this video is currently unavailable.” Can anyone tell me what’s going on with that?

4.   Karen Watteon 04 May 2012 at 4:02 pm     Reply4

Enticing ideas for structuring a hybrid class at the university….or for future middle and high school instructors as Kathy mentions in her post. I love to see the way a few of my oldest daughter’s middle school teachers are already weaving technology options into their classroom exercises — although not to the extent yet that is described by Khan. I’ve learned about Storybird and Mixbook in the last year — and I will have to say, I’ve never seen my daughter so enthusiastic about creating book reports before!

5.   Shannon Riggson 10 May 2012 at 2:29 pm     Reply5

Kathy’s embedded video shows one advantage of using a WordPress blog over a Bb discussion board, for those still thinking about that distinction. If you are going to have students sharing resources like this, the WordPress blog is much more appealing visually.

Jen — I tried the video and it worked for me. I wonder if you had a lapse of internet connectivity?

6.   Cayla Nargion 26 Dec 2013 at 7:04 am     Reply6

Thank you for taking the effort to write this.

7.   Mistie Shoultson 26 Dec 2013 at 8:07 am     Reply7

Have you anything else about this?

•   Kathy Austinon 26 Dec 2013 at 2:58 pm     Reply8

I use a version of this idea in my writing classes. I deliver mini-lessons at the beginning of classes in which I need to convey information or a concept, then I give students the majority of the class time to work on their essays or research projects. This method has worked very well in the past, but it wasn’t as successful for the lower level writing courses this last term. I think one key element to making this work is that there needs to be some sense of self-motivation to learn. I’ve discovered that some students see class time set aside to work on a writing project seem to think it’s just a time to kick back and talk with friends. I’ve never seen this behavior in college students before, however, my high school students were prone to goofing off during class if I let them. What this tells me is that students may need to be trained to be self-directed learners before this method will be successful for them. I’m not sure if Salman Khan addresses this issue.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS