Skip navigation

Vet Gazette

Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine eNewsletter

On International Women’s Day, Celebrate Female Veterinarians

March 8th, 2019

In 1944, Dr. Dorothy Segal was one of only 55 female veterinarians practicing in the U.S.

When Dr. Dorothy Segal enrolled in the Michigan State University preveterinary program in the 1930s, she had already overcome some challenges—a car crash delayed her planned entrance into college by almost six years—but it quickly became clear that there would be other hurdles in front of Dorothy and the other young women in her class.

“There were seven girls in my class, and that was considered to be just an enormous amount (of women in veterinary school),” said Dr. Segal, now age 90. “The dean at the time did not want women. He said, ‘Go back to the kitchen.’ He literally said that. The first speech he gave was, ‘What are you doing here?’ and he was not joking. I thought to myself, I’m going to make friends with that man if it kills me. … Ultimately, we really became friends.”

If Dr. Segal and her classmates were trailblazers, then the trail is officially open—wide open. Today, women outnumber men in veterinary classes by more than 3-to-1, and approximately 61 percent of U.S. veterinarians are women.*

*Source: American Veterinary Medical Association

Recent posts

Archives

March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

• Popular Tags