BHS323

Writing Exercise #8

Step #1: I think that some of the more interesting microbial interactions that I have learned about have had to do with the microbiome and the way that it interfaces with mental health, specifically from the gut. I bet other microbiome dysbioses could have effects on mental health like bacterial vaginosis or acne, but the idea that the microbes that you eat would impact your brain chemistry, and vice versa, is really awe inspiring and opens the possibilities for new and interesting therapies.

Past that, I like learning about microbiomes of body sites outside of the gut, because I have much less experience with these places. Stuff like the urogenital system, the respiratory system, or the skin has been interesting to me in the past because I have more to learn about the topic.

Step #2: The microbiome and mental health

Step #3: The microbiome and mental health are intricately interconnected. This is because of the vast expanse of nerves that serve the intestines. All of these nerves send signals to and from the intestines, and they all link to the Vagus nerve which directly links to the brain. The microbiome can make neurotransmitters that send signals to the brain from the gut, and the brain can affect the microbiome as well, both by direct nervous interactions and by way of the endocrine system.

Step #4: I think that in order to prepare for the final paper I should learn more about the ways that the microbiome and the brain interact to influence brain chemistry. Right now I think that’s where I will be best able to deepen my understanding. Additionally, learning more about the specific conditions that the microbiome can impact is important as well, and getting specific sources for those topics will be imperative as well.