Most Important Thing I have learned

I believe the most important topics we learned about this term would be the testing and interview sections of this course. I believe this is the most important thing for me personally because it is beneficial for both my current work situation and my career in the future. Currently I am able to take the information I learned from these topics and implement or suggest the use of them when I aid in the recruitment and selection process at my job. along with this I am able to better understand the purpose, advantages and disadvantages of different testing and interview process as an applicant.

For the interview process I have learned about the different types of interviews conducted and how to use these methods for my benefit. In my current job we often used group-panel interviews and after going through these lectures I realized that this is not the best process for us at this time. The first reason for this is that the group interview allows the applicants to fed off each other when answering questions or they alter answers towards what they feel is working for the other applicants. The second problem with our current process is that we use a panel to interview the applicants. This is not typically an issue however, we had only gone off the job description instead of the job analysis and/ or scorecard. By using the job analysis and scorecard all interviewers are on the same page about what the company is truly looking for in an employee for this role. I also learned about the benefits of a structured interview which we hadn’t typically done before. By having structured interviews the applicants are able to see the job relatedness more, it helps eliminate bias, and they are more legally defensible if a discrimination issue arises.

As for the testing during the hiring process I hadn’t had much experience being involved in these methods at this point. By learning about how personality tests, situation analysis tests, integrity tests, job knowledge tests, and cognitive ability testing I know how they could be used throughout the hiring process. I now feel more confident in determining if these tests are related to the position I am applying for, how the results might be used for both the hiring decisions and how they may use this information for selling the job, in the terms of the hiring company the cost and benefits of these tests. For a hiring manager using these tests they have to decide if they will be using custom or standard tests and the cost tradeoffs of these tests. Obviously the custom tests will fit better for the position making it more acceptable by applicants and reduce the risk of legal issues as a result. Many of the tests also help decrease subgroup differences decreasing the risk of discrimination lawsuits.

One reply on “Most Important Thing I have learned”

Testing is also one section that I found helpful. Like you said, being able to know the advantages and disadvantages of each is helpful in deciding which testing strategy is the best for the company or job you are hiring for. The interview process isn’t something that I really think about, this could be because there’s a lot of interview processes I’m not a fan of. I’m glad that the slides helped you gain a new outlook on group interviews, especially if your current place of work uses them. I think that they are literally the worst and the cons far outweigh the pros.