Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If you were in the shoes of the business owner and had to choose which person would you hire (Avery or Jaime) and why?

I feel like most business owner’s would go about hiring Jaime, however I would hire Avery. Jaime is the obviously safe choice, you know what Jaime is capable of and the performance you will get. However, this candidate has little room to grow as they can not handle the pressure of being pushed past their limits. Avery on the other hand isn’t as predictable. Avery has the potential to be a great resource for the company if we are able to find a way to provide employee satisfaction for Avery. Avery has more potential to be an A player than Jaime even though Jaime looks better on paper.

Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Avery (i.e., high potential, poor consistency) than Jaime? What is it about that job that makes someone like Avery more valuable than Jaime?

A person like Avery would be well suited in a job that offers movement within the company. Jobs that will look at internal candidates when positions open and promote employees. This would be a great job opportunity for people like Avery because it allows them time to show off their skills, demonstrate their commitment to the job, and continue to push themselves to prevent the feeling of being stuck in a job. A job like this allows people to grow within the company and maintain their interest while showing off their potential.

Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Jaime (i.e., low potential, high consistency) than Avery? What is it about that job that makes someone like Jaime more valuable?

A job that is consistent and doesn’t change much over time would be best for people like Jaime. These people know what they are comfortable with and will perform that task well but are intimidated and stressed out when pushed to do more. The Jaimes of the world aren’t looking to constantly move up in a company but rather are happy with the job that they do on a day to day basis.

One reply on “Typical vs. Maximal Performance”

I like your reasoning for going with Avery over Jaime. I think the type of work you’re in will definitely determine whether you hire a Jaime or an Avery. I said the opposite, I would hire Jaime over Avery, but I was also thinking of my line of work when deciding this and who would be the best fit for the position in my company. They both have good and poor attributes about them, so I don’t necessarily think one hire is better than the other, but the personality type for the position you are looking to fill has to be considered when looking at candidates for said position.