Week 5: Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If I was the business owner in this situation, there is no doubt in my mind that Avery is the right person to hire. Hiring Avery comes with some negatives and some positives, but is the right decision. Avery has a much higher ceiling of performance, but can be somewhat of a slacker at times. As the business owner, I know I can train Avery to quit slacking. I will be able to motivate Avery to perform above average at all times, and reach maximum potential on a daily basis. It sounds as if Avery just needs a push in the right direction, and maybe this job will be that push. If I was to hire Jamie, I fear that we will face a lot of critical situations. Jamie performs poorly in these situations, and time in time again will let us down. I would rather have to train and teach somebody to reach their high potential than to have to completely teach somebody a whole new level of work.

A type of job that would be good to hire Avery for would include something like a city Firefighter. As a firefighter in the city, you need to perform at a high level when a fire has occurred. If there are no fires, then slacking on the job is not the worst thing. Avery may slack at the fire station while washing trucks, or preparing for the next fire. But, when the big time comes and there is a critical situation, Avery responds well and leads the team to success.

A type of job that would be good to hire Jamie for would include a grocery store cashier. As a cashier, companies want somebody who is going to be consistently good. They need somebody to treat every single customer the same way, and ensure a good everyday performance. Jamie sounds perfect for this type of job. There are few critical situations as a cashier, therefore we would not have to worry about Jamie failing in these situations.