A contingent of 16 CBEE students attended 2017 AIChE Student Conference, held Oct. 27-30 in Minneapolis. The CBEE chapter once again volunteered to help run the meeting as a co-host chapter. AIChE national staff said they “love” our students, who have developed a well-earned reputation for being reliable, professional, and pleasant in carrying out their volunteer assignments.
- Freshman Outstanding Student Award: Joseph Hebert (sophomore, chemical engineering)
- Sophomore Outstanding Student Award: Monika Hoke (junior, chemical engineering)
- Othmer Oustanding Senior Scholarship ($1,000): Silvia Colussi-Pelaez (senior, chemical engineering and environmental engineering)
ChemE Car Team
The CBEE ChemE Car Team (first place at the PNW regionals) came in a respectable 15th place out of 40 teams.
CBEE pulled off a remarkable recovery after its car received “no distance” in the first run (car went out of track and didn’t stop) because its iodine clock-stopping reaction didn’t work. The team went back to their work table and experimented for the hour between runs, coming back to land within 1.8 meters of the 23.5-meter total distance. Of the 14 cars with “no distance” in the first run, the OSU team came back with the very best second run.
“That’s great engineering problem solving and great teamwork,” said Professor Skip Rochefort, who accompanied the team “It was fun to watch them go through this process and even more fun to see them succeed.”
The team, led by co-captains Gillian Williams and Parker Busch, included Grant Kresge, Logan Slater, Ben Appleby, and Jasper Limon.
Undergraduate Poster Presentations
Six CBEE students presented poster, and two won awards out of more than 300 undergraduate student posters.
- Conor Harris (senior, chemical engineering). Faculty mentors: Walker and Rochefort. Third Place, Materials Engineering
- Griffin Drake (junior, chemical engineering). 2017 UMaine Summer REU Program. Second Place, Bioprocess
- Ben Appleby (senior, chemical engineering, and member of ChemE Car Team) Faculty mentors: Walker and Rochefort.
- Kendra Jones (sophomore, bioengineering, first-year Johnson Intern). Faculty mentor: Owen McCarty (OHSU)
- Gillian Williams (sophomore, bioengineering, and member of ChemE Car Team). Faculty mentors: Lew Semprini and Mohammed Azzizian.
- Christian Nevo (senior, chemical engineering).