The Job Interview Experience

As a student nearing the end of my education, my focus is shifting toward finding that job that I have been dreaming of. There are a lot of unknowns, and each new day reveals something different. I have applied to a few different companies and each one has been a unique experience. One was an offer that was given to me, the other was me applying to an organization I interned at, and another was a cold call to a company in town that I know of. Each of these bring different elements of nervousness and unknowns. I am not a fan of awkward interactions and I often dread interviews because that’s how I see them. As an interviewee you are trying to sell yourself in a very short time and tell them about how great you are and all of your accomplishments. I find this very difficult and look forward to the end every time.

Through the interviewing experiences, I have come away with a greater understanding of my own desires. Each interview gives you a glimpse of what it might be like to work in a specific company. One of the interviews I had last week was a prime example of this. In talking with the interviewer and president of the company, it was evident that his values and the values of the company are in direct line with mine. This gives me a sense of assurance as I anticipate stepping into the role at this specific company. Others maybe not so much, and that is why it is so critical to ask questions during the interview. My recommendation is to learn as much as possible during the interview about the company so that you have a better understanding of what it may be like to work there.