Posted by Hulali Kaapana, Career Services Career Assistant
The Career fair is right around the corner, happening on October 12, 2010. Being prepared, organized and making sure to use time management wisely are key factors to success at the Career Fair. There are 3 areas of a Career fair; 1) Preparation 2) The actual fair 3) After the fair; follow-up.
- Make sure you understand how the Career Fair is beneficial to you
- Do research! Be educated about the companies you are interested in
- Bring your resume. [Don’t forget drop in hours; Monday-Thursday 1-4pm]
- Prepare a 1-minute introduction about yourself for employers
- Questions, questions, questions. Don’t be afraid to ask!
2) Day of the Career Fair
- Dress the part, look PROFESSIONAL!
- Eye contact, clear speaking and firm handshakes are good things to keep in mind
- Be Confident in yourself and your resume
- Try to refrain from large group greetings, be independent
- Ask for a business card
- Smile =)
3) After the Career Fair
- Send a “thank you” card
All these steps go hand in hand in preparing for a Career fair. By preparing the steps shared above you will feel more comfortable and less nervous when the time comes to talk to the employers. Don’t forget to have fun while talking to employers. More detailed information can be found at Career Services website.