Posted by Anne Lapour, Career Counselor
For many Oregon State students, the winter break is just what the name suggests…a break. If you’re planning to spend your time off skiing, visiting friends, or working at your favorite coffee shop, then enjoy! But for many of you, the break means something else—the job search. Spring is coming, folks, and sorry to sound like a broken record, but the sooner the better when it comes to hunting down that post-graduation gig. Yes, it’s overwhelming. Yes, you’d rather not think about it. But there are a few things you can do to really capitalize on your time away from tests and paper assignments. A few ideas…
- Use your contacts back home to do at least one informational interview.
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day doing internet research: research companies you’d like to work for, current industry trends in your field, and search engines like BeaverJobNet.
- Have some new people—some fresh eyes—look over your resume and cover letter. You can never have too many people do this!
- Start making a list of the events you’re going to attend next term (e.g. Career Fairs, conferences or workshops, etc.)
- Take some deep breaths, and STAY POSITIVE!