Recyclable of the week: Cartons
These are the only plastic-coated paper products that are accepted for recycling:
- Folding-top (milk, juice)
- Rectangular (juice boxes, broth, milks)
- Tetra pak (non-refrigerated tofu)
HOW to recycle it:
Empty or rinse (the easiest way to do this with rectangular cartons is to cut the top open) and place in the nearest bin. Containers should not have food residue on them, as this can 1) create an unpleasant or harmful work environment for people working in our recycling sorting facility and 2) food residue could spill onto other recyclables like paper, preventing them from being recyclable.
WHERE to recycle it:
Recycle in a bin labeled “Bottles & Cans” or “Containers,” most commonly a “slim jim” (pictured, right) in offices, or blue barrels in residence halls. See where the container bins are in your building by visiting our Locations and Schedule webpage.
NOT accepted in container bins:
- NO items with food contamination (rinse/empty, then recycle)
- NO ice cream cartons (not recyclable at OSU but accepted at the First Alternative Recycling Center)
- NO Chinese take-out containers (not recyclable)
- NO paper cups of any kind (coffee, soda, etc.) (these are sometimes compostable but never recyclable)