WHAT is accepted:
- Glass bottles, any color – iced tea, iced coffee, toiletries, alcoholic beverages, etc.
- Glass jars – salsa, condiments, canned food, nut butter, etc.
HOW to recycle it:
Empty or rinse, and keep lids detached (both the glass container and metal lid are recyclable, but only if they are separate, since they are made of different materials). Separated glass containers and lids can both be placed in the same bin.
Containers should not have food residue on them, as this can 1) create an unpleasant or harmful work environment for people working in our recycling sorting facility and 2) food residue could spill onto other recyclables like paper, preventing them from being recyclable.
WHERE to recycle it:
Recycle in a bin labeled “Bottles & Cans” or “Containers,” most commonly a “slim jim” (pictured, right) in offices and blue barrels in residence halls. See where the container bins are in your building by visiting our Locations and Schedule webpage.
NOT accepted in container bins:
- NO items with food contamination
- NO Pyrex products (heat-treated glass is not recyclable)
- NO glass labware (heat-treated glass is not recyclable)
- NO window glass
- NO light bulbs
- NO drinking glasses or dishes