WHAT is accepted:
- Bottles (containers with openings that are smaller than their body) – beverages, condiments, toiletries, etc
- Jugs (bottles with a handle) – laundry soap, milk, etc
- Tubs (cylindrical container with a top that is larger than its base) – yogurt, margarine, buckets smaller than 5-gal, flip off lids of these containers
- Jars (containers with straight sides & screw-on lids) – nut butter, nuts, condiments, etc
HOW to recycle it:
Empty or rinse and place in the nearest bin. Containers should not have food residue on them, as this can 1) create an unpleasant or harmful work environment for people working in our recycling sorting facility and 2) food residue could spill onto other recyclables like paper, preventing them from being recyclable.
WHERE to recycle it:
Recycle in a bin labeled “Bottles & Cans” or “Containers,” most commonly a “slim jim” (pictured, right) in offices or blue barrels in residence halls. See where the container bins are in your building by visiting our Locations and Schedule webpage.
NOT accepted in container bins:
- NO plastic bags
- NO plastic wrap
- NO to-go containers
- NO plastic cups
- NO plastic utensils
- NO Styrofoam
- NO items with food contamination
OTHER PLASTIC recycling
If you have regular or large quantities of film plastic, hard plastics not listed under the acceptable list above or Styrofoam, we can make arrangements for recycling it separately. Please visit our Special Recyclables page for more information.