Blog #7 IPIP Results & Reactions

Overall I think I scored pretty well on the IPIP Test, and I chose to take the shorter one due to time. For “Extraversion” I scored a 50 which is not too bad given that I presumed myself to be an introvert. Friendly people genuinely like other people and openly demonstrate positive feelings toward others. They make friends quickly and it is easy for them to form close, intimate relationships. My level of friendliness is perceived as average. For “Agreeableness” I scored 38 and had high levels of trust, meaning a person with high trust assumes that most people are fair, honest, and have good intentions. In the category of “Conscientious” I scored a 43 and noticed that I scored very high in self efficacy. I think that the benefits to this are high and conscientious individuals avoid trouble and achieve high levels of success through purposeful planning and persistence. For “Neuroticism” I was glad that my score was relatively low and only a 39.  Immoderate individuals feel strong cravings and urges that they have have difficulty resisting which correlates to my high score for this subcategory. My “Openness to Experience” score was the lowest by far and shocked me when It said I only scored a 2. I consider myself to be outgoing in most situations, so this surprised me.

As a potential employer looking at these results, I would say that there are many strengths and weaknesses to make a decision off of. Starting with the strengths, Brett would appear to be a great coworker to other employees in an office setting. His scores tell us that he is relatively easy to approach, friendly and willing to help others. This would be the type of characteristic we would want, and would hope that Brett would work well with others. Next, Brett appears that he would be most likely to cooperate in a given situation. Brett, based off his scores should be perfectly willing to compromise or to deny their own needs in order to get along with others. Lastly, Brett appears to have scored fairly high in orderliness and self discipline, which is an extremely important characteristic to have when we have deadlines and projects. Now I would like to look at some of his weaknesses. I would say that Brett’s biggest weakness is his tendency for impulsive behavior. Impulsive behavior, even when not seriously destructive, diminishes a person’s effectiveness in significant ways. Impulsivity also sidetracks people during projects that require organized sequences of steps or stages. My main concern with Brett is that his accomplishments would therefore be small, scattered, and inconsistent.

By Brett Herb

OSU Senior Studying Management

2 replies on “Blog #7 IPIP Results & Reactions”

Great analysis and you did well at thinking through this from an employer’s point of view. I think this exercise makes us think about how we want to be perceived and the way we actually are perceived.

Hello Brett,

I really enjoyed your analysis of the assignment! I think you did a very great job looking at the positives and negatives of your result! It is so important to be able to work well with other team members I am sure they would find this a very important aspect as well. Thanks for sharing!