Home and Garden Updates

We have been basking in our early spring dry spells at home, making some major progress on garden projects. We built raised beds that will take full advantage of the summer sun, moving dirt from our old raised bed next to the deck. We will be destroying our falling-apart deck to re-make the back yard space. As you will see, we have most of the plants in the raised beds! And more plants are on the way. Next week we will be getting our dwarf cherry tree for the back yard, a red currant bush for the front, and a Sochi tea plant, a cultivar from Russia that is hardy to 0° F. They promise that the tea is very aromatic and flavorful.

Last week I spent the better part of an afternoon in IKEA, a trip that I look forward to every couple of years. I am remodeling my master half-bathroom, so I made a list and was ready to do some efficient shopping. But after 3 hours in the store I wanted to curl up into a ball in the corner. It’s so exhausting to go through the whole place, I go a little crazy. Thankfully, I survived and came home with lots of wonderful things to re-do my bathroom and other great organizing things. I bought 2 Scandinavian-style clothes drying racks that fill me with contented warmth when I see them filled with drying clothes on a warm summer day.

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... Instructor and Researcher, Department of Applied Economics, Oregon State University. Educational background: University of MN Law School, 2005. MS in Ag and Resource Economics, Oregon State University, 2011. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 9 year old boy; brilliant 6 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: Xtra-cycle Edgerunner with kid seat; 400-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Home and Garden Updates

1. Angi says:

Christy, I’ve been keeping up with your posts and am really admiring you for all the strenght and determination you have! I love your pictures of your lovely family and am really hoping that there wont be any more break-through seizures for your so sweet little girl!
    Firm