Oregon State University has received $77 million in private and public commitments to construct the Linus Pauling Science Center and provide support for associated research and education programs.
The new facility, named for Linus Pauling, a 1922 OSU graduate and the only person to win two unshared Nobel Prizes, will house the Linus Pauling Institute and chemists from the College of Science. The facility will also contain classroom and laboratory space for undergraduates, graduate students, and researchers studying chemistry, biology, and life sciences.
”This investment will have a transformational impact on the sciences at Oregon State University,” said President Ed Ray. “It will advance health care research, spur the development of new discoveries and programs that will bolster our economy, and help educate the next generation of scientists, who will define the future of health care.”
Funding for the $62.5 million state-of-the-art building includes a $20 million commitment from the Wayne and Gladys Valley Foundation of Oakland, Calif., which was matched by gifts from other donors. These private commitments helped the university secure another $31.25 million in state bonds.
The Valley Foundation has also challenged OSU to raise at least $15 million in additional support for science research and education programs, including faculty positions and scholarships. To date more than $14 million has been committed from nearly 750 donors.
Approximately 120,000 square feet, the Linus Pauling Science Center will occupy the corner of Campus Way and 30th Street, next to existing science facilities.
We are working with donors to offer naming opportunities in the new building for gifts designated for chemistry and life sciences. Naming can be acquired for a gift of $10,000 or more.