Writing Exercise #14

Non-infectious, microbial-related diseases I can name: asthma, various allergies, some cancers (e.g., gastric cancer), an array of gastrointestinal disorders (e.g., IBD and CD), brain/mental disturbances (e.g., depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s disease), immunodeficiency diseases (due to lack of proper immune system development in relation to factors such as C-section births).

Looking back at my first post, what I know now about the topic far outweighs what I came into the course with. I could barely name any examples that the writing exercise called for, and I was not aware that microbes and non-infectious diseases were even associated with each other. Having now experienced the course, it’s pretty crazy that not so long ago I was so uninformed about the incredible role microbes can play in our bodies. Learning that this topic has gained such attention recently, even being deemed our “hidden metabolic organ,” makes me wonder how I have gone so long knowing so little. While my BHS major brought me to this course, it is only one of several options I could choose from in a required field.

We read articles that asked us to broaden our horizons and consider the significance of microbes dwelling in our gut, as well as ones that appeal to our analytical nature; asking us to remain cautious and pragmatic before jumping to any conclusions too wild. I think I will take both sides of the argument with me when I leave this course, as they both deserve a place in the reader’s toolbox when encountering new scientific literature and concepts.