Writing Exercise #6

Antibiotics are important aspects of medicine and provide needed effects that are supposed to be helpful but at the same time may actually be detrimental to the microbial community in the host. I am the daughter of a physician and am also a science major so I understand what antibiotics are and in which cases […]

May 2, 2019

Antibiotics are important aspects of medicine and provide needed effects that are supposed to be helpful but at the same time may actually be detrimental to the microbial community in the host. I am the daughter of a physician and am also a science major so I understand what antibiotics are and in which cases they may be necessary to help the person to overcome being sick. I also understand that there are certain situations in which antibiotics should be used and cases in which antibiotics should not be given.

My personal philosophy on antibiotic usage is that they should be taken when prescribed and in cases in which antibiotics would be beneficial such as the case of having a bacterial infection in which case it could be beneficial however, in the case of a viral infection antibiotics would not be beneficial. I think that antibiotics when used as prescribed are necessary sometimes to keep diseases at bay that could otherwise cause more problems. I think overall I will take antibiotics when they are prescribed and how they are prescribed because of the advantages there are to taking antibiotics for different diseases. I do not think that I would be comfortable taking antibiotics for long periods of time though as this can cause more problems than taking it for a short time. I have never had to take a serious heavy dose of antibiotics but I think I would also be cautious with high dosage antibiotics as those may cause problems as well.

Overall, I think there are quite a few different times in which I would take antibiotics. Some of those times include times in which I may have a bacterial infection that can be helped by the use of antibiotics. Other times may include when I am in the hospital and need preventative antibiotics so as not to get an infection while in the hospital. To be honest though if my physician thinks I will benefit from taking antibiotics I will not argue and will take them as prescribed.

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized