Writing Exercise #9

From the time of birth to this date, our actions dictate the changes to our microbiomes. Even as a fetus, our gut microbes are influenced by maternal diet during her time of pregnancy. Personally, some behaviors that I could relate to that contributes to decreased exposure to microbes includes a nondiverse range of foods, antibiotic use, highly sanitized home, and limited exposure to others. Growing up in a Chinese family and following our cultures, newborns and mothers are to stay at home for the first month. As a previous newborn baby with minimal exposure to microbes, staying home in a relatively clean environment significantly minimizes the chances of exposure to microbes. This is especially significant since we have had minimal exposure due to age. In terms of diet, almost all Chinese people eat white rice along with certain side dishes with each meal. This plays a role in decreased exposure to microbes due to nondiverse and consistently eating the same type of food. My history of taking antibiotics also plays a role that decreased certain microbes in me. Lastly, living in a highly sanitized household has decreased my exposure to microbes. My parents would clean the household and wipe down all surfaces with antibacterial wipes which kills microbes.

Based on the articles from this week, if I were to be exposed to more microbes as a child, I could possibly be able to not develop asthma or allergies. I find it really interesting despite going over 7 weeks of course materials on microbes, I still learn new things every week!