Writing Exercise 5:

There are so many choices throughout the day and in one’s diet that can affect the microbial communities and balance in an individual’s body. One which I think many people at this university may partake in in alcohol consumption. This is an activity that could very well hill many bacteria present in the gut, and could potentially result in the increase in abundance of any species which survived or thrived in the newly hostile environment, potentially resulting in a microbial imbalance (disbiosis). Additionally, I should probably do more than I already do to consume a more probiotic diet. With so many options out there tat fit the bill (from yoghurt to kombucha), I’m sorely lacking by only eating sauerkraut as a microbe-laden supplement.

All in all, I do little of what I should (diet-wise) to promote a healthy gut microbiome. I also have a penchant for fatty and unhealthy foods, which surely cause inflammation and irritation along my intestinal tract, causing damage to local bacteria. Fortunately, I’m also a fan of raw vegetables, which can be a source for consuming microbes and expanding microbial diversity.