Research shows that a plant based diet reduces risk for cardiovascular disease, the leading cause of death in the US. Why not introduce a healthy habit into your family meals by having 1 plant based meal per week. Start with this yummy soup and your family will surely be on board! With a hefty serving of iron, fiber, potassium and protein and a taste that your family will love, you can’t go wrong!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound dried lentils, washed and picked over
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each black pepper and ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mint flakes or dried thyme or oregano, crumbled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice or to taste (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, cumin, chosen seasonings, and bay leaves, then bring to a boil over moderate heat. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add the green chilies, red pepper, and carrots; simmer 15 more minutes, or until the lentils are very soft.
- Before serving, remove and discard the bay leaves and stir in the lime juice; adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try topping soup with a dollop of sour cream and chopped tomatoes.
- This soup is also good if a potato, another carrot, and celery are added.
- Eliminate the peppers, chilies, and cumin if you do not want the Mexican flavors.
* For nutritional information, information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here