Tired of avoiding the dessert section at parties? Maybe you could bring a healthy “treat” next time? This guilt free dish is loaded with tart apples and high fiber oatmeal. Only 160 calories with 6g protein, 3 g of fiber, and only about a ½ tsp added sugar per serving, this will surely be a true “hit” that everyone can feel good about!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups non-fat or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 apple, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil or spray an 8″ x 8″ baking pan.
- Combine the egg, applesauce, milk, vanilla and oil in a bowl. Add the apple.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rolled oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to the liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts.
- Return to oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes until top is browned and the sugar bubbles.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Substitute other fruit for the apple. Try bananas, pears, blueberries or a mixture
* For nutritional information, information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here