This one is for the vegetable haters in your household. Get your morning started off right by sneaking in some Vitamin A packed carrots in an oh-so-tasty way with these carrot pancakes! Try making half of the flour whole wheat and adding chopped walnuts and your favorite fruit to the top for even more of a fiber and protein boost that will be sure to keep you full until lunch.
1⁄2 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned)
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
1⁄2 cup carrots, grated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup flour (all-purpose)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1. Mix oatmeal and buttermilk and set aside to soak.
2. Peel and grate the carrot with a fine grater.
3. Add egg, oil, and milk to the oatmeal mixture; beat well. Stir in the grated carrot.
4. Measure dry ingredients and stir into the wet ingredients until batter is fairly smooth. If it seems too thick add a small amount of milk.
Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Heat griddle. (To see if griddle is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If drops skitter around, heat is just right.)
6. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
7. Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
8. Top with applesauce, fresh fruit or yogurt.
* For nutritional information, information about prep time, cooking time, and to adjust ingredients to particular serving sizes, please view this recipe on the Food Hero website here.